Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/20/2010

Corn & More Chowder

Good morning all! I was actually hoping to have a different post up today, but its not done. None of them. I haven't made very much headway on my other projects. Harrison's costume is done, which is the only one that officially 100% done, buuuuut I have no pictures of it yet. So I will go with this, because I thought ahead when I was making it and took pictures. :)



The original recipe is from my Taste of Home cookbook, but I added sausage to it for a full meal. :) So on to the show!

Corn & More Chowder


Grocery Stuff
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter
2-1/2 cups water
2 cans (14-3/4 oz each) cream-style corn
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2"  cubes(*I like russets as they have more starch and will thicken the soup better)
2  cups milk
1-1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
Minced fresh parsley (*I usually just use dried)
3/4 to 1 pound of sausage (*This is my addition. You don't have to use it)

Cooking Stuff
1) In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water, corn and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 16-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to low.

2) Brown your sausage, if its in the casing I remove it from the casing and just brown it up like ground beef. I make sure to not have any big chunks so that's its easy for the little guys to eat. Rinse and drain.

3)Stir in the milk, sausage, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.

You may substitute Chicken broth for the water, but it if you do this omit the salt!

Yum! This is one of my favorite soups to make when fall and winter are upon us. Its quick and easy and very filling! I hope you guys enjoy and have a great day!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. This looks super delicious! I'm gonna have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete