Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/18/2010

One down 3 to go

Well the first of three costumes is done! Hallelujah!

Dev is very excited about the fact that his costume is done, except that we have not made it by the shoe store to pick up light brown boots. Don't worry we're not buying the shoes for the costume...we buy him boots every year. Aren't I lucky that Yoshi wears boots? :)

Oh and I have decided that I am never sewing another costume that has a tail or anything resembling a stuffed item that is attached between two seams. For Dev's 2nd Halloween I made a dragon costume I ended up putting the sewing needle through my thumb, multiple times. I did this while trying to attach that dragon's tail to the body suit. My thumb healed faster then my machine though, because I ended up moving the shaft that extends the needle down into the dog feed a 1/4" to the right. So into the shop it went. I ended up having to borrow my sister's machine so I could finish Devlin's costume in time. While this time was better, and I did not have the needle meet my thumb, attaching the spikes and the tail was still a PITA.

So here is the last tailed costume I'm ever making.






I didn't go all out for this costume. Its a costume that will not fit next year. I know there are some that are perfectionist, but yea.....I'm going for frugal. A while back Hancock had royal broadcloth on sale for $1.40. I must've bought up at least 6 yards of various fabrics for these costumes. His belly is white flannel which was left over from Harrison's costume. The spikes are out of red felt.

I had to adjust the pattern a bit and I had notes everywhere. See?


After I got this pattern piece folded down to three spikes, I was informed that Yoshi had 4. Ok....well that was an easy fix.

Oh the things we do for our kids. :)

Now, in other news, if you guys have 'like'd the facebook page then you know that I have decided to sell some pillow cases at a holiday gift fair. A local church is hosting the gift fair on Nov. 13th, so be prepared to see some more pillow tutes. :) Tons of ideas, not enough time but plenty of go!  Wish me luck!

Have a great day guys!
Heather

Participating in: Pollly Wants a Crafter Linky Party

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you did a great job!

    Submit it in my Handmade Halloween Contest - starts now!

    Susan,
    http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
    Party and Entertaining Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "shout out" about my giveaway! Adorable blog!
    Blessings,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too cute! I'd love for you to come link this to my Halloween costume contest!

    Krista
    http://whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-costume-contest.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute -- I really miss these days. Your son's going to have tons of fun. I've never made a tail, but I can certainly imagine. :)

    ReplyDelete