Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/12/2010

Stacked Pumpkins

Did you know that Halloween is the 2nd most decorated holiday? Well it's really no surprise, at least not to me. Halloween is my sister's, Nicole, favorite holiday. When we all still lived at home we used to string up spider webs and gravestones. We had a lot of fun, but now that we all live on our own, well it's different.

My favorite part of Halloween has always been pumpkins, so its no wonder that when the artificial pumpkins came out I was all about that, because while I love jack-o-lanterns I do not really like the scooping out of the innards. For the last several years, I've been adding to our pumpkin collection. I usually buy them when they're on sale at Michael's or Jo-Ann's, and as of the beginning of this year I had 4 pumpkins, but one did not make it through the move. I thought I could fix it. It was a spiderweb pumpkin that had 'Happy Halloween' woven into the web. I loved it. Not scary, but definitely in the spirit of the season. Unfortunately Harrison found my pumpkin and accidentally fell into it. The web did not survive. :-(


Oh well, off to Michael's for another white pumpkin. They had the large ones for $10, which is pretty reasonable considering how expensive they can get, so I carved up a new Happy Halloween pumpkin, and proceeded to try and think up a better way of displaying my pumpkins than last year. Last year there were some very windy nights during October, and these pumpkins blew around everywhere. Annoying.

Ding! Enter my bright idea. So I've seen the pumpkin topiaries and what not around, but I didn't have an urn to place my pumpkins on. I also didn't want to spend more than $10 on this project, so on to the show!

What I used


{2} 8-inch clay pots
{1} 4-foot 7/8" dowel
{4} carved fake pumpkins
Gorilla Tape
Gorilla Glue
Spray paint
Halloween lights

What I did


First I had the hubs cut the dowels in half. Then I carved another hole into the top of the largest pumpkins. With the clay pot upside-down, put the dowel through the drain hole and make a mark right where the dowel extends from the hole. Stack the pumpkins on top.

 Look inside your top pumpkin and guesstimate how much space is between the top of the dowel and the pumpkin. Take off the pumpkins and using your guesstimate measure down from the first mark you made. Take your tape and wrap around the dowel at the 2nd mark you made. Make sure to wrap the tape around enough times so that the dowel is nice and snug within the drain hole.


I added the tape to this dowel after gluing it. Adding it beforehand is much easier. 
Run a bead of gorilla glue around the dowel right below the ring of tape, and place the dowel inside the drain hole, let the glue dry. Repeat everything for the other clay pot. Paint both pots with spray paint. I was going to use black, but apparently I'm fresh out, so the ORB came out.

After the paint was dry, I brought the pots back inside, and stacked the pumpkins again on them. I applied a drop of Gorilla Glue to every spot that the pumpkins touched each other. I didn't glue the pumpkins to the pots because I wanted to be able to take them apart if need be, and  Gorilla Glue does not eat Styrofoam. Good to know for other projects! Wait for the glue to dry.


Take the pots, pumpkins and lights outside. I have my lights on a timer, but its just because I'm lazy. :) I have my lights blinking, so I found the spot on the string of lights where they start blinking differently, its about center. Then I wrapped the dowel in the lights making sure to keep the halves of the lights separate. I wrapped the bottom half of the dowel first and then moved to the top. I kept the top wrapped a little tighter than the bottom because the top pumpkins were not as tall as the bottom pumpkins. I also had to make sure that the lights didn't extend to far out, so I as I wrapped I tried to overlap the lights so they would hold themselves down. Gently guide the pumpkin down over the dowel and lights. Turn on and enjoy your stacked pumpkins!


I ended up replacing one of the strands of lights because the purple was just too dark. Here is Dev trying to figure out why they are not as bright as the other pumpkins. The lights were from Walmart and they did not blink or shine very well, but when I went back to Target they were completely out of purple lights, but had the multicolor Halloween lights, so that's what we got. They're so much brighter. :)  I also ended up hiding the cords with a galvanized watering can, but since I've got some more plans for it, I'm not showing that off quite yet.




Well I hope you guys enjoyed! Check out the banner up top to see who won the CSN Giveaway! Have a great day and enjoy it!!
Heather

Linking up to:

DIY Club

Visit thecsiproject.com

6 comments:

  1. Okay, that's pretty stinkin' cool. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Topiary tutorial.

    Thanks for linking up.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun project! The pumpkins look so real in the photos! I appreciate the step-by-step instructions. Thanks for linking up to the DIY Project Party monthly contest! :) I look forward to seeing the galvanized watering can project!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pumpkins are fabulous and I have had a major obsession with stacked pumpkins for a couple of years no....so i love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - What a fun festive project! I love the idea of adding the string lights inside - fantastic! Thanks so much for linking up! Hope you have a wonderful week! Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I prefer the faux pumpkins too. So much work only to rot? No way! Love the topiary! Great job!

    Have a great week!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete