Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

11/12/2010

Cheaters Sometimes Do Win


I have a confession. I cheat...sometimes. With food that is. I once said there's a thin line between laziness and creative genius. I also said that I like to think I walk that line everyday. I definitely walked it this week when I bust out a fabulous soup mix. Yes, I know mixes are what has killed many a great homemade recipe, but they're just so darn convenient! At least it was healthy.

There's a really great place called Great Harvest Bread Company. They sell a lot of all-natural, made-from-scratch mixes and foods. This is one that I got a while back.




Mike really loves beef soup/stew type dishes, and the weather is starting to get cold, so it was kind of perfect.

Sidenote: Remember now, I'm in Tennessee. It will be December before the weather consistently stays below fifty degrees.

The recipe calls for meat, diced potatoes, broth, and onions in addition to the soup mix.


I really wanted oxtails because they're really flavorful, but Publix was out, so I got beef shanks instead. They worked really well actually and provided a lot of meat. That was good because there was a ton of soup too.

I always include bones with soup when I can because they add a lot of flavor.

It turned out really well. Mike loved it, I loved it, and it goes great with buttered rolls.


FYI: Soup mixes you make at home make really great gifts too. Some really great ones I've found are here from Taste of Home, here, and here.


No comments:

Post a Comment