Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

11/30/2010

Easy as ABC...

I had such trouble on what to post today. I have such a backlog of things to share with you. How did this happen?!?!?

Oh well, just means I'll have lots of posting material for you guys. :)  I want to share with y'all a craft that Dev and I did for the kids' Christmas tree. I ended up having to recycle a bunch of the ornaments that he and I made last year, and I needed something quick and easy until I can fill the gaps.


So Dev and I sat down and made some ABC ornaments. :)

What you'll need:
Chipboard letters
Glitter
Plastic Cups
Glue
Jute
Paintbrush

What you'll do:
Gather a clean and large work surface. I {ingeniously} picked my kitchen table, because food and glitter go really well together. More on that later.

This is a neat little glitter pack that I picked up from Michael's. It has 16 colors, but I opted not to use the black or the brown glitter. They will  live on elsewhere. :)  
 My chipboard letters had some extra baggage, but I decided to use some of them. I have used some of these letters for other projects and I had to use the circles because said letters were no longer there.  :)

Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the glittering process, but I painted the glue onto the letters and then I put them into a plastic cup. One cup for each color glitter. Then I let Dev pour the glitter into the cups and gently shake them around to make sure the letters were completely covered in glitter. Then I fished them out and laid them on the newspaper magazine paper. :)

I do love me some glitter. :) 
 So after the glitter and glue dry it's time to attach them to some ribbon jute. I cut each length of jute to 18". I cut 8 pieces total. I knotted each end. Then I dabbed a spot of glue on the back of the letters, and then just pressed the jute into the glue. Dev wanted the alphabet in the right order so we had ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNOP, QRS, TUV, XXYZ.
Look at all that glitter on my table. le sigh.


Then just wait for the pretties to dry. Oh scroll down one picture. You'll see where the food comes in.

I really hope that none of the guys ingested glitter with our mac 'n cheese burgers. Mmmmm, burgers.....Oh sorry...back on track.

Here are the lovelies on the kid's tree.....They're so darling. I love them!  


Next week, I will be showing off the house in a Holiday Open House going on all week next week. On Thursday, December 9th, I will be posting up a linky party, and I am cordially inviting all of you to post up your Christmas Trees! I would love to have a showcase to show off your wonderful decorations the next week!

I hope that you guys are as excited as I am! Have a great day everyone and enjoy it!
Heather

Linking up to:
 UndertheTableandDreaming

13 comments:

  1. I always use our dining table for craft too! I'm so jealous of people who have their own pecial crafting room.

    Although possibly if I had one, I'd never come out so perhaps all's well that end's well!!

    I love your sweet glittery garland. What a great project to do with children.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project and just may use it for my daughters classroom. I was sitting there thinking, I bet they were covered in glitter, and then you wrote about them ingesting glitter! To funny! I can't wait to drown myself in all that glittery goodness!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention, I can't wait for your Christmas Tree Showcase! I will see you then!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how very sweet and they look so effective! Love them. (Great way to learn your ABC too!!)


    Would love for you to link up at Kids Get Crafty? It's every Wednesday over at Red Ted Art, current linky: http://www.redtedart.com/2010/12/01/kids-get-crafty-robots/

    Hope to see you there!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!! I love some abc's in a kid's room. :) Thanks for linking it to SFS!! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with these!!! SO perfect on a kid-tree. great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How adorable! I'm sure the kids loved them. I sure do!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm linking up from Tatertots & Jello. Thanks for sharing how to do this adorable project. I'm off to see how you made the number shade lamp!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super fun Heather - and I love all the colors! Thanks so much for linking to the party - I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the glitter, and what a fun project! I will be keeping my eyes open for some of these the next time I am out.
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these so much! I want to make one for my house, just to keep around, but it seems a little inappropriate since it's just me and the hubs lol I featured you today on my ornament round up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why didn't I think of that? :)

    I have lots of chipboard letters and I can use them to spell out words too!

    Thanks for sharing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a great project!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete