Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

12/20/2010

Our December Potluck!

I can't believe that I forgot to write a post last night. I mean I have material for all week, and I forgot. I know why I forgot. I wanted to finish my sister's Christmas gift {which I did!} and then I joined the hubs and our friend, Evan, downstairs for some GT 5. Ok, so its decided....I'm blaming a video game. :)

Anyways, back to the task at hand. I'm going to be sharing a new cookie recipe that I debuted at the Bake-Off we had this weekend, but first I'm going to show off the table decorations and the mantle. Can you see what changed on it?
 Maybe this view will help you. Do you see what's different? I found some glittery ornaments in the $1 section at Target, and even though they were meant for the centerpiece they look just fine here. :)

 Here's the centerpiece for the kitchen table. I still need to add something to it, but the simplicity of it is also nice. :)
 I just had to take some shots of my pretty Christmas bouquet. I love the field mix bouquets that you can get at the grocery store. :) 
Our friend, Brian, brought this scrumptious Chocolate Zucchini Cake. It was delicious. Doesn't it look so sweet in front of my watering can? I love that watering can. :) 
 Here is what we're making today: Cherry Bon-Bons. They were delicious as well.
 
 Our friends, Steve and Carolyn, brought this delightful tray of goodies. Carolyn made all of this from scratch. I need to get that peanut butter fudge recipe from her, because that's by my favorite on this plate.
 Even though Jess said she had an epic cookie fail, her raspberry thumbprints still tasted good. :) Sorry for the picture quality on this one. I am not claiming responsibility for it. Lets blame the hubs. :)
 Our friend, Kathie, brought these adorable mice! Not only are they too cute, but they're addicting!
My mom brought Swedish Meatballs, but unfortunately they were devoured before the camera was busted out. Mom, you need to bring more of those meatballs to my house. Like now. Thanks!

So on to the recipe I'm sharing. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook (love that book).
Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies
Grocery Stuff:
Cookies:
1/2 C butter, softened
3/4 C confectioners' sugar
2 Tbs milk
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/8 Tsp salt
24 maraschino cherries
Glaze:
1 C confectioner's sugar
1 Tbs butter, melted
2 Tbs maraschino cherry juice
Additional confectioners' sugar

Cooking Stuff:
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough into 24 portions; shape each portion around a cherry, forming a ball. Place on ungreased baking sheet(s). Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.

Yes, I was baking late at night. I didn't finish cooking all the cookies until about 2 am the day of the bake-off. 
For glaze, combine the sugar, butter and cherry juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Dust  with additional sugar. *My glaze was more the consistency of icing, so I piped it onto the cookies. You could add some water to help thin it if you want.
These are delicious cookies and they're not too sweet. I will definitely be making more of these. :)

I hope you guys have a great day and enjoy this Christmas week!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous party you must have had, and it sure looks tasty too.


    I made Danish Christmas Hearts and Paper Christmas Stars to cheer up our tree.
    Happy Holidays!
    JRFrugalMom from
    Frugality Is Free

    ReplyDelete