Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

2/22/2011

Man Catching Beignets

So I'm sure that most of us have seen Disney's The Princess and the Frog and if you haven't well then you're missing out, because I think it is a highly enjoyable movie. I love Prince Naveen's voice and Lottie is by far my favorite character. Well her and Mama Odie. You have to love a 196-year-old blind woman. :) So anyways the point of all this was at the beginning of the movie is a scene with Big Daddy, Lottie and Tiana where the latter was dispensing advice about how to catch a man and it was easily done through their stomach. Lottie then orders 500 man-catching beignets, hence the title of this post. See how that works. ;)
Bet gave me a copy of this month's Southern Living and inside was a recipe for beignets! I so love beignets, which is why I'm so excited to share it!  So let's get this motor started.

New Orleans Beignets 
Grocery stuff: 1 (1/4 oz) envelope dry yeast
1-1/2 cups warm water (105 - 115 degrees)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup evaorated milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
6-1/2 to 7 cups flour
Vegetable oil
Sifted powder sugar

Cooking Stuff: 
1. Make the yeast mixture: Combine yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and 1 tsp. granulated sugar in bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; let stand 5 minutes. Add milk, eggs, salt, and granulated sugar.

2. Form a dough: Microwave remaining 1 cup water until hot (about 115 degrees); stir in shortening until melted. Add to yeast mixture. Beat at low speed, gradually adding 4 cups flour, until smooth. Gradually add remaining 2-1/2 to 3 cups flour, beating until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.

3. Roll and cut: Turn dough out onto a floured surface; roll to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2-1/2 inch squares.
4. Fry until golden: Pour oil to depth of 2 to 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360 degrees. Fry dough in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack. Dust immediately with powdered sugar.

These were good, but a bit bland so I topped them with honey or chocolate sauce. I couldn't decide which was better. :)


Heather

3 comments:

  1. I am drooling! My favorite thing about New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be beignet time in the blogesphere!

    Check out the beignet praline sauce Amanda posted: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/new-recipes/biscuit-beignets-with-praline-sauce-2.html

    I'm drooling. Too bad we won't be home this weekend to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about these from a couple of people at work.
    They look yummy!
    I have saved the recipe to try.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete