Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/22/2011

How Could I Have Forgotten?


Sometimes I start a blog entry with one idea in mind and, by the end of it, something's changed. Sometimes it changes without me noticing. Last week was one of those times. I mentioned having two recipes for my "Goodbye to Winter (I Hate Snow) Girl's Night", but I ended up only having one. So sorry, I completely forgot to include the second one! That being the case, here it is, part two of the comforting, girl's night recipes.



Spiced Hot Chocolate
6 cup milk (use whatever you like, I use unsweetened almond milk!)
1 tsp store-bought curry powder
2 green cardamom pods, crushed
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup honey
1/4 tsp salt
Marshmallows or whipped marshmallow cream, for serving (optional)

In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, warm the milk, curry powder, and cardamom pods over medium heat, stirring every now and then so it doesn't burn.

Meanwhile, spoon the cocoa powder into a measuring cup. Once you see little bubbles forming around the perimeter of the saucepan, the milk is hot; turn off the heat. Pour a little milk, about 1 cup, into the cocoa powder, and whisk until smooth. Add back to the saucepan, and whisk in the honey and salt. Stir until well combined.

Pour the hot chocolate through a strainer into 4 individual mugs and top with marshmallows, if you like.

I don't have any pictures of the cooking process because, as I mentioned last week, things got busy fast. I served it in my special teapot, though, which I do have a picture of.

Shopping a la Heather led me to this little baby. I picked her up from a consignment shop for $8 because I simply couldn't resist. I love honey and I love the way the teapot looks like a hive. I don't know if you can see, but those are little bees on the side. It seemed appropriate since there is honey in this recipe.

Tangent: Speaking of teapots, I've started a small collection. Mike is so not a fan of this. :-) I have a method to my madness, however. I am only collecting teapots that represent countries of the world.


England--India--Japan

I love my little teapots. :-D

Okay, back to the food. This cocoa is not like your regular Swiss Miss or Carnation hot cocoa. The cardamom makes the drink a little minty, and the honey gives it a richness that you just can't get without it. It's definitely different, but I like it. Mike did not, but he's a cocoa traditionalist. I know the weather is getting warm now, but give it go before it gets too hot. I think you'll like it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it sounds heavenly!! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete