Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/12/2011

Learning to Sew

So for a while now I have kind of wanted to have a third baby so that we could try for a girl. Now, of course, if we had a third boy I'd have been thrilled, but you see there have been 5 generations of women in my family that have learned to sew from their mother's.

I was feeling left out, because I have no girls, and right at this moment I do not want another kid. Between Harrison and Devlin over the last month, I've had my fill of tantrums, bad behavior, attitude and whole host of other annoyances.

Devlin is in the middle of an electronic restriction, for behavior last weekend, but I'm not going to lie when he asked me on Monday if I could teach him to sew that my heart didn't melt a little bit.

My husband told me that my sewing machine is electronic, but I told him it'd be a good skill for Dev to have and I would really, really like to teach him. Who needs a daughter when your son is asking you to teach him what you love. So we agreed that I should teach him, but I was told to keep my temper.

You see, I am NOT a teacher. I get frustrated very easily when people don't try as hard as I do, but this turned out to be a non-issue this time, because Dev tried harder than I've seen him do in a long time, and I am SO PROUD!

So without further ado, let me introduce Dev's first sewing project!
We decided to make some angry bird plushies, using the pattern and instructions from Obsessively Stitching.  Here are some more  pictures of my guy!
 The red bird was done a few days ago, and has already been loved on. A lot. But he's holding up! We finished the bluebird yesterday, and he was supposed to be for Harrison, but he's really not that interested, so Devlin has adopted him as well.

This project was a lot fun, not only because Dev stitched all of the seams on the bird's body, but because I got to practice my free-motion quilting on the their faces, which I desperately needed.

Next up is the yellow angry bird, then the black one, and some where in there I'll get to make the shirt I'd like to for Steve. :) I may need to invest in a machine for Dev if he keeps this up. :)

Have a great day guys!
~Heather

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! My little guy likes to sew too! :) His turned out really good for a first timer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat -- keep hoping one of my little guys will show an interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete