Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/06/2011

Quick Fixes


So I know I said I'd show off my new toy today and I really, really wanted to, but things simply haven't worked out that way. I did mention last week that my very good friend, Sally, was coming to visit from England (YAY!!!), but I had to work for the first three days of her visit so that I could take off for a week and a half. It was work that got in the way of me using my new toy. That's done now, though, and next week I will absolutely have gotten to break in Beatrice. :-)

What did I do this week then? This week was a practice in quick, fabulous. I've actually impressed myself quite a bit with these. I was exceptionally quick on my feet with these two recipes, culinarilly speaking. Rachael Ray's got nothing on me because these delicious dishes came straight from my own noggin'!

Waist-and-Palate-Pleasing Tacos
1 lb ground turkey
2 tbsp taco seasoning
Several handfuls of baby spinach leaves
1 cup cheddar cheese
6 hard and 6 soft taco shells
*Salsa, sour cream, and/or other items can be used to top if desired

Brown the turkey meat in a pan and stir in taco seasoning as it's cooking. Once the turkey is done, serve all the rest of the ingredients in their own dishes and allow everyone to build their own tacos.

Really? How easy is that? I'm sure you can figure out why I say these are waist-pleasing. This came from Mike asking me earlier this week s I could have dinner ready early so that he could be fed before going and playing basketball. This dish took me all of ten minutes to have on the table and it was fantastic! I did have to apologize to Sally, however, that my Mexican food wasn't exactly authentic.

Dana's Bruschetta
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 lb sliced baby Portabella mushrooms
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 bag baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
Sliced Ciabatta, pita, or whatever plate-like bread you fancy, toasted.

Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pan until the butter is melted. Swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned and soft. Add minced garlic and diced tomatoes, juice and all. Once heated through completely, add spinach and just wilt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl along side your bread. Allow guests to then top their bread slices with the mixture like toast and enjoy.

Sally and I have both taken our own individual forays into vegetarianism, so this was a great dish to take both of us back to our veggie days. Plus, it's delicious. I wanted to make this on a night Mike wasn't home since I knew he wouldn't really enjoy it (I believe I've mentioned my husband's feelings about mushrooms), so I did it when he was playing basketball...again. So, so, SO good. And you can have as much as you want because it's really healthy! Try it. If you like Italian food in any measure, you will love this. Plus, did you notice it was warm bruschetta? Like my mother, I do not make cold food.

Well, I hope you enjoy these two Dana-originals. There is a plan in place to use the new gadget next week, and I am really excited and a little scared because I'm starting with the hardest thing first. Wish me luck!

Sally and I together last time I visited her in England. Yes, that's the Tower of London behind us. Next week I'll have a new picture of us in front of a far different castle. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment