Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/12/2011

The Best Kitchen Invention Ever!





I know, I know, I'm late. Heather and I are both having off-weeks. Mine is caused by a boy (no big surprise). Mike husband Mike plays basketball...a lot. He plays at least two times a week and he always plays hard. I tell him to take it easy every time he leaves to go play, but he never does. It finally caught up with him last Saturday. Long story short, Mike snapped a tendon in his left ring finger and had to have surgery on it the other day. Here's the hand post-surgery:





One tendon...in his finger!



He's got to keep that thing on till next week. That, folks, is why I play video games, not sports. Heather "no-knees" B. can back me up. :-)



Well, on with the food. Who can guess what the best kitchen invention ever is? Blender? Electric mixer? Non-stick cookware? Nope, this gadget is better than all of those. It's the love-it-and-leave-it appliance, the busy woman's (or man's) best friend, the slow cooker! I don't make use of mine as often as I should, but I did use it earlier this week. Here's the recipe.



Slow Cooker Pot Roast



3 lb chuck roast

1/2 med onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

16 oz can stewed tomatoes

1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce

8 oz water

2 Tbsp oil

Salt and coarsely ground pepper

Flour



Season the roast with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour. Brown roast in frying pan and transfer to the slow cooker. In the same frying pan sauté onion and garlic with oil, until transparent. Add to slow cooker. Add the stewed tomatoes, water and worcestershire sauce. Cook for about 5 hrs. When done, puree the remaining tomatoes, juices and onions, return to pan, add thickener for gravy.



This is such an easy recipe. More importantly, it's delicious. No, it's not fancy, it's not complicated, but it will make people go back for more. Our friend Paul did, which was a nice ego boost for me. Not much else needs to be said, except that I really need to find and start using more slow cooker recipes. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment