Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

11/04/2012

Is It a Fail If It Tastes Good?


Yeah, yeah, I know, I've done a lot of coffee posts of late.  I have a problem, my name is Dana, blah, blah, blah.  It's my kitchen!  I do what I want!  What delectable caffeined delight have I concocted this week?  Nothing much, just a Cuban coffee.  If you don't know, Cuban coffee--cordadito, cafecito, cafe cubano, I've heard a lot of names and I don't know what's correct--is a tiny sip of heaven served in a demitasse cup that makes you want eighteen more.  It's basically espresso sweetened and prepared so that there's a sugar crema on top.  This last bit what what I failed to achieve.  Good thing there are do-overs. ;-)

I used this recipe from Epicurious.  In case you're wondering why I chose it, it was the first one that came up and looked pretty easy.


First, the equipment.  My much beloved stovetop espresso maker.



Here's my attempt at making the sugar paste.  I'm thinking I didn't add enough coffee.  See how it's not so much a paste as wet sand?



Here's the finished product.  As you can see, there's no crema.

Good thing it still tasted delicious!  This is a very sweet and strong drink, though, so handle with care.  I got a bit over zealous and had way too much that night.  Yes, night.  That little cup had about four servings in it.  Four!  And that's how late it kept me up...but I learned something at least and can try again this morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment