Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

4/14/2016

Fit 4 Thursday - Why?


So remember a few weeks ago, when I asked the question about the chemically smell in my nose after working out? The post is {HERE}.

So my question today is why do I get chilled after running?

This is not a new question, but I found several varied answers. Some of them I wholeheartedly agreed with, and some left me shaking my head.

So let me start out with some things I know -

  • After a good, hard, sweat-inducing workout of an hour or more I will get chilled to the bone afterwards. 
  • It doesn't matter the season or weather. I've been out running when it was 9* and snowing, and bundled up to the teeth, and out in 100* sun-baking heat in little more than shorts and a tank. 
  • What I eat before, during, or after a run doesn't matter either. 
  • I'm a shade under 6'2" and weigh 195 lbs, which means my BMI is 25 (can you believe it still categorizes me as overweight?). 
There are some good factors in my list. This is obviously something to do with me and my body, and how it cools itself. 

This article by SciCurious hits the nail on the head. 

If you don't want to read the article, I'll sum it up for you. 
Our bodies are very good at a lot of things, but sometimes they don't always keep up with changes. Our cooling/heating system is one such item. When we're running a distance (this is up to your body) that enables your body's cooling system (sweat) and then we suddenly stop, our body doesn't always get the memo, and it continues to cool our bodies, until it's done such a good job of cooling us that now we're cold. Our cooling system has over-cooled our body to the point that the emergency heat kicks on (shivering and goosebumps) and begins to warm our body back up. After a few hours, our heating/cooling system has stabilized our body and we feel normal again. 
So that's why there are the chills after running. 

What can you do to help with this? 
  • Change into warm, dry clothes as soon as possible
  • Take a warm shower/bath
  • Eat a banana or electrolyte filled drink
Those things may help you. They don't help me. I always get chilled, no matter what I do. I've been in the shower with the heat all the way on, and still shivering like my life depended on it. 

I guess I'm just lucky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment