Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/06/2016

Pattern Review - McCall's 3830

Some patterns are just classics, and you don't need a current pattern for them.

This pattern is one of those. I bought this pattern around 2002 and didn't do anything with it, but after I made my boho blouse, and it didn't work with the pencil skirt I had, I needed a new plan.

Luckily, I have a crapton of fabric, and patterns, so after digging into my stash of skirt patterns, I found the answer to my problem. A simple, yet classic pencil skirt pattern in 5 lengths.

The fabric was another easy problem to solve, because I think I bought the twill I ended up using for the skirt as the coordinating fabric with the sheer I used on the blouse. I love it when a plan comes together.

The pattern is as straightforward as straightforward can be. 4 pattern pieces and voila! You have yourself a pencil skirt. There are darts in the front and back, along with a kick pleat on the longer lengths.

This pattern would be an ideal first clothing pattern. There's nothing funny or tricky about it's construction. I finished this pattern in about 3 hours, and altering the pattern took the most time, because my hips are two sizes bigger than my waist. Then after I got the side seams sewn up, I needed to alter the curve of the hips, because I gave myself way too much room.

At least there was too much and not enough. After I got the side seams to flatter my form, and not look like some reincarnate version of parachute pants in skirt form, we were good to go.

Of course, being true to me, I forgot to snap a picture of me all dolled up for the wedding in said outfit. I did snap this picture of myself, while talking to my mom on the phone, and texting my sister so they could weigh in on the outfit.

I wish I had snapped a picture of the whole ensemble, because I paired the skirt and blouse with a fun pair of suede strappy, lace up grecian stacked heel sandals, and I looked pretty fabulous. If I do say so myself.

Thanks for reading! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment