Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

2/02/2017

Watercolor Splatter Art


So we've all been on pinterest and found certain projects that on the surface look fairly simple to accomplish. Then you get into the project, and you realize that you are so far over your head that you need to take a different approach. 5 approaches later, you realize that you are not an artist and you have merely accomplished an impressive display of pinterest fails.

Agate watercolor art was my downfall. What could be so hard about that? A lot. Or maybe it's just me. Either way, after 5 or 6 tries, I resorted to a different approach for my watercolor art in my bedroom.

I threw paint. I'm good at throwing paint.

I did learn some things from all of my failed attempts though.

  •  A spray bottle of water is my friend for prepping the watercolor paper. 
  • So is salt. I like the texture, and the pitting that salt causes when you sprinkle it on the wet paint.  
  • Martha Stewart's - Gold Liquid Gilding is pretty awesome stuff. Just the right amount of glitz for my splatter art. 
After taping the watercolor paper to my dining room table, I sprayed a couple of good sprays of water onto my paper. I let the paper absorb just a bit of it, but there was still water pooled in various spots. I then started off with one main color. After that, I just layered different colors until I liked the mess I had created. I kept my colors to the 6 colors in my room, and just had fun. After the watercolor fully dried, I then just added drops and clusters of the liquid gilding. I added some drops to the centers of the larger watercolor splotches, but I didn't go overboard. I kept it simple.

The most important thing I learned was to not overthink the art. I stopped thinking. Thinking was probably my biggest problem with the agate art. I will maybe attempt agate art again. Maybe. After the scarring has subsided. 



Here are all of my masterpieces, after I got done throwing the paint. Some of the paint is still pooling on the tape and the paper. 

I will say that my art looks fantastic matted, framed, and hung on the wall. They also help fill that ginormous space above my vanity. Seriously, y'all, it was a lot of wall with nothing going on. 



It almost looks like I knew what I was doing! The art is the perfect accent over my green vanity, which I promise I will write a post about, because the piece is just awesome. I need to get the wall lamp I want to build for it done. My phone's light does not make for a very good vanity light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment