Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

3/20/2018

The Long and Short of Rock 'n Roll DC Half Marathon

Well, I intended to have this post written and posted on Thursday, but some little evil bug decided to waylay those plans. Stupid spring.

So now that I'm feeling human again, I'm so excited to dish about how my third outing at the Rock 'n Roll DC Half Marathon went.

I was nervous about the weather in the week leading up to the race because it's March and it's temperamental. The forecast ranged from snow and rain, to slightly windy, and then the forecast settled on mostly sunny with low winds and in the low 50's. Perfect weather. WHAT!!?!? I was going to have nice weather for a race? That's unusual.

A post shared by Heather (@sewhalfcrazy) on 


So as the morning of the race dawned, I was up and eating breakfast - obsessing over the weather forecast in front of me. The winds were a little higher than previously predicted, and having run this race before, I know that along the water the winds are always a little worse than they say, or at least they feel like it. Also, knowing how I react to wind and cold in general on long runs, I decide that I need to adjust what I'm going to wear for the race. I opt to wear a slightly heavier jacket, figuring that if I get too warm then I can just unzip it a bit.

It was 6am before I knew it, and my ride was picking me up. There was a group of us again from our MRTT chapter running the half and the full marathons. Unfortunately, the marathoner's race started at 7am and the half at 8:30, so we weren't able to see the marathoners off. A quick stop at Starbucks, and then we were off towards DC.

A post shared by Heather (@sewhalfcrazy) on 


We get to the Smithsonian with plenty of time to spare. It was cold, but the staging area was set up exactly as it has been in year's past. Gear check was simple, and the lines for the porta-potties moved steadily along. Everyone was trying to stay warm and loose.

The crowd in the chute was subdued, but happy. People chatting, stretching, warming up. I was in the corral by myself. My friend and her husband were two corrals in front of me. When I signed up for the race, I put my finishing time as 2:45. I figured I would hit this race the same as I did for the PW Half. I would just run whatever was comfortable. I had also decided not to bring any hydration with me, and use the course support. I was excited not to have my pack on me. My form sometimes suffers when I wear it because I tend to pull my shoulders to my ears when I get tired, and wearing the pack seems to exacerbate that.

So the race finally starts, and we slowly make our way back towards the start. My corral starts about 20 minutes after the gun fires. We start off down Constitution Ave. and its gorgeous as always. The first mile floats by without me even noticing. I was just enjoying myself and the sights along the way. 11:52 pace

We wind ourselves around the National Mall and head directly towards the Lincoln Memorial. The first water stop is in the shadow of that gorgeous marbled wonder. I decide that I'm going to hit every water stop since I'm perpetually dehydrated, and because why not? We then bear right on to Rock Creek Pkwy. headed towards the Kennedy Center. As we run along the river, I'm really happy that I opted for the heavier coat. The winds on the river were chillier than advertised. Coming out from under the building we hit Mile 2, and I realize that I completely missed the first-mile notification. I also figure that the clocks started 2 hours before and I was running faster than I realized. Oh well, it's still a comfortable pace. 11:39 pace


We turn right and run up along the side of the building, almost directly into the sun. It's getting a little warm now, with the sun fully out and me all in black. I open the neck of my jacket up and instantly feel better. This stretch of the course is boring. We do hit the first checkpoint though. The clock says that I've been running for about 36 minutes. That's not bad for a 5k time. 12:05 pace

Running back towards Rock Creek Pkwy, the course is the same as it was on the way out. At least we're not running into the sun anymore. This mile goes by pretty quickly. 12:05 pace.

Finally back onto Rock Creek Pkwy, and I'm so happy. It's such a pretty stretch. I mean it's hilly, but it's also gorgeous. I love watching the runners across the way, who aren't racing. They're just out running their normal Saturday morning run. It'd be so great to be able to run this stretch all the time. I grab some more water and take a fuel packet. I'm not familiar with the brand, but I remember seeing them at the expo. I decide that I'm going to stick with my gels. The Incredibles were under one of the underpasses handing out high fives and cheers. I love that they're always there. 12:14 pace

At the end of this mile is the Blue Mile. I can't help but tear up as I run along. It never fails. I read all the names and try not to think about the hill that is coming. The hill is awful. It's so steep and seems to go on forever. I eventually arrive at it though. It's lined with volunteers holding American flags and cheering on the racers. I start my trudge up the hill. I've been good about my hill training this year. I kick it down a gear and start working. The volunteers are cheering and offer high fives. I end up giving so many people high fives, because it's just too hard to pull my hand back in, and there's no way I'm going to stop getting up this hill with all of them looking. I continue to climb. I'm slow, but I'm not walking. I grunt near the end of the flags, near the halfway point of the race, and the volunteers cheer in my ear. Will this hill never end? And who the heck thought it was a good idea to put the halfway mark of this race on this hill? I did it though. I made it up that bloody stupid steep hill, and I didn't stop once. My legs are burning, but I reach the top and I take a nice deep breath, and it feels amazing. 12:32 pace.


Running downhill has never felt so good. We're running through Adams Morgan, and it's so lovely. I know I'm running slower, but I figure conquering the hill gives me a little leeway on running slower. I'm not running for time. I'm running for me. 13:53 pace.

There are a few hills and whatnot now, but looking at all the scenery is great. I start thinking about my Small Fry. He's hiking up Stony Man Trail. I'm jealous that I can't be there with him. I know he's having fun, and that he's in good hands, but still, I'm jealous. He's the one that spurs me on at the end of a race to go faster. He's the one that is always fighting to prove himself, even though he has no reason to do so. He has to be on top. My adorable, infuriating, quick-witted, smart-mouthed, caring boy. I miss him. I miss that I'm missing the hike with him. I know what he'd tell me though. He'd tell me to get it done, to finish. He'd do it with those big brown eyes and those terribly long lashes (totally jealous of my son's eyelashes). Well if I can't be there with him, I might as well make him proud. I can start to hear the drums from the drum band. Oh, that means I'm near Howard University and the reservoir. And those birds. I'm running down the hill and the drumbeats are getting louder. My footfalls are starting to match the beats. I'm feeling really good, and I feel like my form is so much better than it has been lately. 13:22 pace.


So the drum band is behind me, but I can still hear the beats, the reservoir is to my left, and some crazy seagulls above me. Please don't poop on me this year! These seagulls are crazy, they're acting like starlings. I'm nervous running under them, but there's nothing to be done about it. Luckily, I leave the crazy birds behind and continue on my way. The great thing about this part of the race are the spectators. I mean the spectators are great all the time, but the ones along this bit offer alcohol. I don't partake, because beer, ew. It does make me smile though, and the street reeks of beer, even after I've passed the Guinness for Winners of Mile 9, and Mile 9 Beers. It's a gross smell, but it also makes me happy, because the other runners are very excited about the libations. I realize that I don't have enough gels to finish the race, as I eat my last two. Oh well. I'll figure that out. 13:08 pace.


We're on North Capitol Street, and it's so sunny and bright! It's gorgeous now. I unzip my jacket a bit more and take in the sights. We pass Prospect Hill Cemetery, and the Capitol Building looms in front of us. The only downside to this bit is that it goes under roadways, which means dips and hills. I keep my pace steady, and just really enjoy this time. 13:08 pace.


How am I so close to being done? The sights are keeping me entertained along with the other runners. I notice that I've never really left the pack of runners. It's spaced out a bit, but I'm still surrounded by runners. A lot of them are walking now, but that's ok. I'm not. I'm still feeling good. My toe probably has a blister on it, but that's ok. It's not too bothersome. I decide to take the SIS gel that I had picked up at the first fueling station. I'm not too sure about it, but it wasn't terrible. It was cherry flavored, so not terrible, but I couldn't finish it. We'll see how it goes. 12:51 pace.

I'm slowing down, I don't know why. Maybe it was that gel. I don't think I'll use that gel again. Your form is terrible, Heather. So I straighten up and just keep going. It doesn't matter how slow you go, so long as you finish. I'm looking at all the people around me who are walking and I feel for them. I've been there. You got this. Just keep going. You're almost done! 13:53 pace.

Let's kick it up a notch, girlie. Your form is good. Your calves feel good. Your toe will heal, and it's just a blister. You've had thousands of them. Hey, look there's a 20k sign! Woohoo! Only 1k left! Still chugging along. One foot then the other. I'm hungry. I wonder what we're gonna eat. I bet my friends are done. I wonder how the marathon is going. I feel surprisingly good. Man, I love running. Running is the best. Tra La La La! Small Fry would've laughed at that. Then he would've told me that I'd need to be naked to say that. Then Baby Girl would've shouted it while jumping off the couch. I hope dance went well. Hey, look! There's RFK! Woot! I am almost done!!! 12:38 pace.

I keep my pace pretty even, until the last 100m or so. Then it's time to start shaking out those legs. Let's do our little sprint. Small Fry would be proud. Man, so much leg to move.

A post shared by Heather (@sewhalfcrazy) on 
And I'm done!

My official time was 2:48:37. It's a good run of the mill time for me, but more importantly, I had a freaking awesome time. This was a great race, and I felt really good afterward. I wasn't stiff or sore like I usually am after a race.

I took advantage of the changing tents and realized that it wasn't just a blister. *graphic toe warning*



Oops.

Oh well. I guess my shoe wasn't laced tight enough.

Being sick right after damaging my toe like that did have its upside - my toe was allowed to heal. You know I would've rushed it and started running on that toe before I should've. It's still black and blue more than a week later, but it's not painful anymore.

I can't wait for next year! I'm also hoping that Cherry Blossom has the same lovely weather in a few weeks!

Thanks for reading. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment