Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/23/2018

Pattern Review - Jalie LouLouxe Skort

Hey guys! I'm back, and even though I'm injured and slightly depressed over the frailty of my body, I have accomplished other things. One of those things was finally making a pattern I bought last year. I was interested in this pattern, because not only is it a fun looking skort, but the shorts have pockets! What?! Pockets? I'm sold. Pockets make all the difference in the world.

It's from a Jalie and its the LouLouxe Skort {see it HERE}. I was a little nervous about buying the pattern in the first place, because it's not one of my usual companies, and it's a digital download. I'd have to assemble the pattern myself, which is not a big deal, but more of a lack of convenience. I know that seems like a dumb reason.

So with my knee injury and me being in a funk because of it, I have tried to pull myself out of it by accomplishing other things. I also told my sister that I'd have this new running skirt for her and I was quickly running out of time to get it done. Nothing like waiting until 4 days before you leave to start on a project! Luckily, as with most knit projects, once you get it cut out, it sews up super quick.

This one is no different and the instructions for this pattern are clearly and concisely written, which is always nice. So once I traced the pattern size I needed onto my pattern paper, no need in ruining the main copy of my pattern if I didn't need to, the cutting out of the pattern was straightforward.

I dug into my stash for some of the fabric for this project, and I also went to Jo-Ann's for some lovely jersey for the rest of it. I chose a nice mid-weight knit black jersey for the shorts and waistband for this skort. I had a fun print with some glitz for the skirt portion. So I cut out all my pieces and start the assembly.

It goes together quicker than quick. There's nothing overly difficult about this pattern, other than making sure you have all your markings transferred and you know which pieces are going where. I did have to keep reminding myself which pieces were the front and back.

So I get the piece done, and I can't wait to get down to Nashville so my sister can try it out. As it turns out we end up going for a run on Friday, before the race. She dons the skirt and super cute sports bra, and I immediately start quizzing her. How's it feel? How are the shorts? How's the waist?


She says it all fits great, but the real test will be the run. I am happy that she's happy so far, and I'm equally excited about the prospect of making me one. She does express some concern about the length of the inseam and chaffing, but we figure that'll just have to be a test for Friday.

Friday comes and it's gorgeous outside, maybe even a touch hot. She's got her super cute skirt and bra outfit on, and I've got one of my favorites on, plus that stupid knee brace.

We set off for our 5k along the greenway near her house. It's gorgeous. If I lived in Nashville, I'd run this stretch all the time. It's peaceful and is relatively flat. What a nice treat to all of the hills in and around the area. She doesn't run outside, and to be fair she has a valid reason for it. This, however, does not stop me from good-naturedly egging her on about it. That's what sisters are for after all.

So we do our out-and-back on the greenway and she beats me at the finish. She always beats me. Stupid gazelle. Once I catch up with her, I immediately start firing questions at her about the skirt, and she's got glowing reviews for it. The shorts were long enough where she didn't chafe and it's really pretty wonderful. She really likes it. Yay! I'm so happy because now I want one!

So I think this pattern is quite easily a pattern that a beginner sewer could tackle. It's well written and easily constructed. The only 'difficult' part might be that it's a knit, but as long as you pick a knit with some decent 4-way stretch, then you should be good to go.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment