Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/08/2010

It's Pink Week!


At least it is for me. There's not actually a recipe this week, but I want to talk about something that is very important to me and to countless others. As you probably know, October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month, and I am just thrilled that we are fund raising at work for the Susan G. Komen foundation. As Heather has mentioned before, I am a cancer survivor. Granted, it was not breast cancer, but instead Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia when I was seven. Praise Jesus; I survived! Nowadays, I really like being involved in events to raise money for cancer research and awareness. A girl at work has done a fan-freaking-tastic job of organizing all kinds of events for the SGK Foundation, and our company has actually surpassed the fund raising goal by very nearly a thousand dollars! We did a thing where you could pay $5 and wear jeans all week (the response, as you might expect, for this was outstanding). We also did a "pink Thursday" where you paid $10 to try and win a prize for the most "pink spirit". Here's my getup!



When I got dressed this morning, I thought I was being so radical {enter screaming guitar riff for effect} and was actually a little worried about "looking silly". Oh, how sadly I was mistaken. There were pink wings and pink wigs and pink bandanas and pink boxing gloves and one totally awesome guy in a pink cape. I was tame in comparison and came in last sixth place in the contest. Of course, people can just give money as well. Finally, there's the event on Saturday. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I will be participating in Nashville's Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure 5k Run/Walk. The participant pays an entry fee that goes toward the foundation and then they can choose to race timed or un-timed, stroll with your little one, walk with your dog, or "Sleep In For the Cure". A lot of people chose the sleeping in option. :-) Not me or my hubby, though! That's right, Mike and I are racing it out. I mentioned in the other post that my goal is to complete the race in 30 minutes. Will I do it? I don't know. I've been training, but not as hard as I could have done. My workouts have been pretty good, though, so I guess I can just hope for the best now. Wish me luck! I'll post my results next week along with a new recipe.


1 comment:

  1. I think your pink outfit is AMAZING!....and any woman who is a cancer survivor (of any kind) is a queen in my book!

    tkcharlesworth@aol.com

    ReplyDelete