Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

9/03/2015

Fit 4 Thursday - Banana Walnut Overnight Oats

Fit 4 Thursday

Well race day is on Sunday, and I'm trying not to be a stark raving in-my-own-head lunatic.

I don't know that it's going well.

One thing I can depend on is my go to breakfast for long runs.

Overnight Oats are amazing. They're easy. They look terrible, but taste amazing.

If you haven't tried them out, you need to. Now. Go right now and whip some up. You will thank me in the morning.

I have a favorite jar for my oats. Its a wide mouth pint size mason jar. My husband discovered a while back that you do not use this jar for prepping yeast for a beer batch. It angers the wife. A lot.

He very kindly made me my overnight oats, after he'd cleaned out the yeast, and after I'd gone to bed. They were delicious, and he is amazing.

So here's the recipe for my current favorite go to.


Banana Walnut Overnight Oats


Ingredients

  • 1/3 C Old-Fashioned Oats
  • 1/3 C Milk (Skim, Almond, Whole - doesn't matter just use your fave - I like Unsweetened Vanilla Almond)
  • 1/3 C Plain or Vanilla Greek or Regular Yogurt
  • 1 Medium Banana
  • 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
  • Small Handful Walnuts
  • Cinnamon
  • Syrup or Honey (I use syrup. I like the  mapleyness. Is that a word?)

Banana Walnut Overnight OatsDirections

  1. Pick a container that will not leak or break when you shake the ever living crap out of it. Mash the whole banana into said vessel.
  2. Add the Oats, Milk, Yogurt, Chia Seeds. Add a good dash of cinnamon, or your preference, to the concoction. 
  3. Close up your jar, bowl, or whatever you're using and shake the ever living crap out of it. I like my oats well blended. I sometimes turn it into a quick arm exercise. Place in refrigerator and let it make it's magic overnight.
  4. Top with walnuts, and a bit of syrup, to taste, the next morning. 

A couple of notes - 

  • I don't like cold oats, so I zap my jar after the last step for a minute in the microwave. The jar gets hot, but the oats aren't. I stir the mixture and then dig in. The oats are the perfect temp. Not to hot and not too cold. 
  • I've also added nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice in place of and in addition to the cinnamon. They're all delicious. 
  • Some recipes tell you to let the jar rest for 8 hours in the fridge before digging in. I'm not always that great of a planner, and I've dug into my oats after only 5 hours. They've still been delicious. 

Ok so that's my share for today. I hope you guys will enjoy this recipe as much as I have!

Linking up to:


No comments:

Post a Comment