Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

11/13/2017

The Long and Short of Run the Parks 10k!


Well, my official 2017 race season has come to an end, and it was perfect if I do say so myself.

Sunday was Run the Parks 10k put on by PR Racing, and as expected it was everything I wanted it to be. It was rainy (drizzly?) and cool, but perfect.

There was an 80-minute time limit, which I was nervous about because my foot is still acting up, but getting better, and really my times haven't been fast.

The Prince William Half was run at a 12:36 pace, which I was and am still quite pleased with, but that was too slow for an 80-minute time limit for the 10K.

The last couple of runs I've had have been ~12:20 m:m, which is also not terrible, but that didn't stop me from fretting.

So the hubs and the littles decided to join me at the race, and I was a little nervous because of the weather and the kids, but it all turned out great. They visited some monuments while I was running, but they did see me off!

Apparently, I was concentrating on something at the start of the race, because that is some fierce resting bitch face.


The race was gorgeous like always, the rain added a nice bit of solemnity to the course, and the leaves were in full color. You could barely see across the river, but you could hear the planes taking off from Reagan. It was peaceful, and there is something to be said to be running at the back of the pack. It's not crowded. 

The leader of the race passed me about a mile and a half in. He was hauling, and I cheered all of the leaders on! 

My foot was doing ok, not great, but not bad. I was just enjoying being out on Haines' Point. I tried calling my sister, but she was sleeping. *rolls eyes* 

I listened to my music until the halfway point. I got water, and then made the turn to head on back. My foot did not like the turn. Not. At. All. 

So then I called Dana again and this time woke her up. She could chat with me for the last half of the race. She and I nattered on about this and that, and then I kept hearing water running or lapping, and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Turns out the Potomac was running over the shore of the point. I mention this to Dae, and she said that she had heard the water too, which tells you how loud it was, or how good my mic is. The rest of the race was low key, peaceful, and beautiful. The perfect fall run. 

Then I got to about a mile from the finish and there was the photographer so how could I not pose? The photographer even asked if that was the pose I wanted, and I very enthusiastically said I did! 


Dana stayed on the line until I crossed the finish line. She cheered me on as I started increasing my speed towards the end. My crew was just on the other side of the finish line, and Dana cheering in my ear. There really wasn't a better finish to be had. I picked up the pace and finished nice and strong. My official finish time was 1:16:39, right on pace for where I've been running. 

During the race, the hubs took the littles around to the various monuments, and they got to take in some of the sights. I was not the least bit surprised when my jacket was returned to me with wet sleeves. 

 

As usual, I highly recommend this race not only for its scenery, but it's well run and on the smaller side. 

Thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment