Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/26/2010

A Quick Update for Lampshades

So its nothing new for a crafter hoarder to have paint lying around. Its not even odd that they'd have several dozen shades of latex paint around along with a slew of acrylics, possibly some oil-based and fabric paint along with all sorts of mediums and glazes. I know I do. You do to. Admit it. I'm glad I'm not alone in the raising of hands for our hoarding crafting tendencies.

So what do you get when you mix paint, stippling brush, lampshade, and a homemade stencil? You get paint on your pants, or your kitchen floor after the brush leaps to its death from your hands. Pfffft, a slightly suicidal brush is not going to stop me from updating a part of my family room that has been bugging me for a few weeks now.

As I sit and type out this post, as I do with every other post, I am sitting in my chair. Not a chair. Not the chair, but my chair. It has my butt-print all over it. Well, it might have the dog's too, as Carrie likes to steal my chair and its warm spot, but mostly my butt-print on the cushion of this chair. As I sit in this chair I have a direct line view to this.

This has a twin across the room, also in my view, and I stare at these plain, boring lampshades thinking to myself that I am really growing weary of how plain and uninspiring boring they are. The green is a nice lightener to the orange of the family room, and I like green. I like it a lot, but these shades are blah. Very blah.

So enter the previous ditty about the paint. What is a hoarder crafter supposed to do with all of that paint, which is just waiting for inspiration to strike so that it can make something a bit more playful and beautiful. Something that says, "Look at me! Here I am! Loooooooove me!" You bust it out and you slap it onto your lampshade over your homemade stencil. That's what.

Now you maybe wondering about this stencil. I found a flower (detailed_flower_1_C00170_24282) in the silhouette online store that I liked, but it didn't quite work with the stencil job it needed to fulfill, so I ungrouped the image and removed the very outer curves, so that the petals would be the only things being removed from the stencil. I am not a neat pouncer so I need a lot of space around the edges. :)  I did find out that I had to set my cutter to basically cutting out a magnet sheet to get through the stencil and even then I had to punch out the petals and be careful about the corners. That stencil blank was an ornery fellow, but he eventually saw some reason.

So here's what my pretties look like now, and I tell you what.... I am LOOOOOOOOOOOVING them. :)





Have a great day guys and get out there and craft something!
Heather

5 comments:

  1. LOVE these! I may just have to try this... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really impressed with how nicely those turned out! I'm bit chicken when it comes to lampshades, but I may have to break out the silhouette and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya - I'm equally impressed, because I was nervous as well. I hate it when you have what you think is a grand idea and then you do it and it turns out it wasn't so grand at all. Thank goodness this was not one of those times!

    Christina - Thank you for the comments. You should definitely try this and then share how they look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea, it turned out great. I love that stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Love the pattern!Just curious what the original design looked like before your tweaked it.

    ReplyDelete