Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/23/2010

The Post I Forgot to Title!

So I know that ya'll are expecting to see my completed picture wall done, and it is done. Buuuut I'm not going to show it to you just yet. THHHHHPPPP! Sorry....H has been blowing raspberries for forever, but this week they're extra drooly, so I thought I'd share {aren't I sweet? :-P}

I am also going to share with you the epiphany I had when Jan of Bobbypins Boardwalk commented that I should include more than just photos. Not only did a light bulb go off, but the entire lighting department. First, some history, a while back I saw this post linked up somewhere {sorry I cannot remember where} and knew I had to do this. Yes, I'm going to make you go to her blog, because 1) I'm in an ornery mood, 2) she's got a really nice blog and you should check it out and 3) I'm ornery. Did I repeat myself? :-)


So here's what I accomplished from her inspiring post. :)  Oh yes....I'm making you scroll to the bottom to see the final product. :)
 Lots of 1/4" strips and one 8x10 sheet with a B printed on it. Oh how I wish that the first letter of my last name did not have any curves. To all of you with first letters of your last names that don't include a curve.....You're so damn lucky, but I would absolutely do this project again. IN.A.HEARTBEAT. 

 There aren't a lot of corners to be utilized in a B, but luckily since this was sized for a 4x6 I got away with only using 2 strips. Starting and stopping at corners makes this process much easier. Also I ended up gluing my curves piece meal. I paint some modge podge onto the outline then press the paper into it, gently following the outline, and at the curves I worked in smaller sections, because the paper wanted to do one thing, and I wanted it to do something else. 

 So here is she is in her outlined glory. I chose to do the outline in a shade of paper that was similar to the background, but I found neon colored papers in my scrapbook stash and I have two nieces! Guess who's already brainstorming for Christmas?

 I've started adding the coils to the letter. I'll tell you what.....working on a larger picture  would have been easy. There was not much room in some of those spots. 

 Here she is almost done. You can see where I added the outline of where the mat would go (I had an 8x10 frame matted for 5x7). I should have added this outline first, but c'est la vie. It all worked out. 

 Here she is all framed and matted. You can see the still-drying-glue. Yes, I was that impatient. :) 

Here's just another shot of her. In.Love. I must do more of these. It was fun, relaxing and I got to play with glue and paper. 

Here she is hanging. Oh, you'll just have to wait for tomorrow's post to see the rest of the grouping. :) BTW, in case you didn't notice....the glass is behind the picture, but a shadow box is another option. Since I'm thinking of making some of these for my nieces....at barrier between them and the paper would be a very good idea indeed. :) 
Linking up to:


Visit thecsiproject.com

I hope you enjoyed today's post. I had so much fun making it and I hope that ya'll will try it as well. Enjoy!
Heather

40 comments:

  1. This is ridiculously amazing...honestly...I'm so doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking I need to get around to decorating my walls, and then I stumble on this! It looks great, and I may just have to make this my craft for the day. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so lovely!! I've been looking for just the right monogram forEVAH, you've inspired me to try my hand at making one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are SERIOUSLY amazing! I must try one myself. Yours turned out FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this!! I just bought some quilling paper and the tool to try quilling the other day. I didn't know what to make. So I think I might try something like this. Thanks for sharing!!
    Saw this on The CSI Project

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is super cool. That would be a lovely addition to my "ode to A's" wall!
    http://toileinthefamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/ode-to-as.html

    I am going to have to try my hand at that. My girls would love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have actually already started on Christmas presents with this project in mind. I hope you all will make one and then show it off! I would love to see other people's take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful and unique! I love scrolly things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came out great. I did an R last week in the same way for my bedroom. It ws so much fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so awesome! It turned out great!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Wow! This is fantastic! I love scrolls too! This is so unique! I can't get over the fact that you made this! I am super impressed! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so impressive! Just gorgeous! I admire anyone who has the patience to quill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is simply gorgeous. I've seen these before but had no clue how to go about making one. I can't wait to get started now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful--Simple and elegant. Gorgeous work.
    -Emily @MarthaShmartha

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you freaking kidding me, that is adorable! I am in love with it! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very impressed. Great project.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just saw this in Real Simple and was wondering how to do it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a creative idea! I'll be giving this one a try :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Most excellent! I used to do quilling years ago but looks like I'll have to give this one a go, love the way your monogram turned out! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful work! I am intimidated to do something this fancy, but your work is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ab.So.Lute.Ly STUNNING. I <3 scrolly viney things, and those little extending tendrils just got bookmarked in my inspiration folder. Wow.

    ((CSI poster))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for linky back to my blog! I love that you were inspired by my project, and yours is so so so beautiful! Just stunning! I knew those curves could be conquered. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is lovely! It just got added to my must-do bookmark list! Visiting from Hoo Has Talent?

    ReplyDelete
  25. thank you so much for all the commenty-love! I really can't express how happy it makes me to know that you all love it as much as I do. I'm just worried about dusting it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!! Love it! Now I wanna make one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. O my goodness, this is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! I LOVE it! And my last name starts with an E, so I guess it'd be a little easier, but I still am overwhelmed just looking at this project! :]

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I wanna make one right now! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeous! This is amazing, I think you have more patience than me!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great job! Love this!
    Frenchy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stopping by from "along for the rid"! Love this project! Want to do one for me? I'm a Smith! Imagine the curves - ahh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is beautiful. I love quilling... there is something about fiddling with all that paper that makes you feel so happy when it's all done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. w-o-w that turned out gorgeous! i must make one (E)! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks awesome! I have never tried quilling. I looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well I've started my nieces name. I'm in love with it. Its nice because it's not so messy that I mind doing it on the kitchen table while the boys are playing, and its easily cleaned up!

    @Jess - my maiden name was Smith! Altho I imagine that the "S" would be easier than the "B" because of the lack of closed loops :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOW. i, too, am IN LOVE. i think the "b" looks spectacular! i thought i loved your neice's name--but this is AWESOME. my last name is a 'k', which (shhh, don't tell hubby) i hate! i think the curves of the b lend themselves to the curls..i don't think a 'k' would flow quite as well. but i'm bookmarking this now, you've inspired me!!!!

    ReplyDelete