Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/01/2010

Granny's Super Yummy Summer Pie!

So my great-grandmother, Granny Hester, had a wonderful pie recipe that always reminds me of summer. She shared it with my grandmother who, in turn, shared it with me. I am sharing it with ya'll because it's just too good and simple not to. :)
Are these not the most beautiful strawberries ever? And you
know you love the Mickey bowl. :)

Granny Hester's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


active: 10 minutes / total: 55 minutes / serves: 6 to 8 people
What you'll need:
1-1/4 cups sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons tapioca
2 cups strawberries
2 cups rhubarb
2-9" pie crusts (I like Pillsbury)
2 tablespoons butter, cut up
milk
What you'll do:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line bottom of a 9" pie pan with one of the pie crusts.
2. Quarter the strawberries and mix with sugar in a bowl. Let it hang out.
3. Peel the outer skin of the rhubarb, and then wash and chop. Be careful as the rhubarb will spray red juice everywhere if you're not careful. Combine with the strawberries and gently mix. Add 3 tablespoons of tapioca. Gently mix.
See that red vein sticking up? That's what you need to peel,
because otherwise your rhubarb will be stringy.
4. Pour the fruit mixture into the pie pan, and sprinkle more tapioca on top, if needed. Add butter to the top of the pie.
5. Unroll remaining pie crust and cut a design on it. Center pie crust over the pan. Trim, seal and flute the edges. Brush the top of the pie with milk.
I think that butter is upset at me. :) 
6. Wrap  foil around the edges of the pie, to prevent too much browning, and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
So completely perfect. Even if I did forget to set the timer.
When this pie is done cooking it just smells done! I can't
describe the smell, but its wholly amazing.
A couple of notes - Place foil or another baking sheet underneath your pie pan......this pie will more than likely bubble over. :)  Also, since rhubarb is not readily available in frozen form {or if you're my hubby, and you don't like frozen} you can make the fruit mixture ahead of time, when rhubarb is in season, and freeze the mixture in a bag. Pull the mixture out and defrost to use in pie or as a compote in the winter. :)

I hope you enjoyed this recipe, because we always do. :) Have a wonderful day!


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE rhubarb! I have some growing in my garden and cant wait to use it!

    Stopping by from the Tuesday Tag-along. Come follow me back if you get the chance!

    Diane
    www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this recipe! my mom LOVED rhubarb and we'd planted it a few years ago just for her, but she's passed away now and i have been looking for a tried and true s-r pie recipe!!


    i'm also following from TTA

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pie looks delicious. I think I just might give it a try. Plus I love the pics and the detailed instructions. Believe me, I am no Betty Crocker so it is appreciated.

    Following you now from Tuesday Tag a Long. Follow back if you can

    http://www.thriftycanucks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are huge....following you from Tuesday Tag-a-long have a great day
    http://mrsphilipswithonel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait for fresh strawberries. I eat strawberry shortcake for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!
    I am a new follower from Tag along Tuesday! Hope you follow as well. Have a great day.
    Jennette
    Smart and Trendy Moms
    http://www.smartandtrendymoms.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this sounds wonderful! I've been wanting to make a good pie for a while now and I think you just convinced me to make this one next weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to hear about more rhubarb recipes.

    Thank you for the wonderful comments. I can't wait for summer to really start because I love summer cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy!!

    Hi! I'm a new follower of your lovely blog on Tuesday-Tag ALong.

    Would love to have you follow mine too.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete