Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/04/2010

Friday Food Frenzy - Issue 1

Welcome to the inaugural Friday Food Frenzy! In case you missed it or missed the almost picture-less post earlier this week, Friday's posts will be written by my ever-so-talented sister, Dana. Yesterday was her 4th anniversary, and in honor of that she cooked a fabulous meal for the hubs. So on to the show! 

Photobucket

So yesterday was a very special day for me.  Yesterday was my four-year anniversary with my uber-steller husband, Mike.  For our anniversary, I told Mike that I would make anything he wanted for dinner.  Anything.  That’s when it got interesting.  Mike actually made up a March Madness/Sweet Sixteen style bracket of dishes to match up against each other and choose from.  Kudos to me and my cooking, I guess. 
 J 
 There were some pretty tough choices to make: Irish stew vs. beef stew, good ol’ fried chicken against new seafood recipes.  It was an epic struggle, but, in the end, Grilled Mahi-Mahi In Wine Marinade won out.  No surprise there.  Mike loves Mahi-Mahi.

 Let me preface this recipe by saying that it has some unique ingredients that I think can be substituted fairly easily.  I know I did for one or two of them.  With that said, here’s the recipe…


Grilled Mahi-Mahi In Wine Marinade


(Serves 4)

·       4 6 oz mahi-mahi fillets
·       1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
·       1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
·       1 cup chardonnay
·       1 tsp vanilla extract
·       1/4 cup grapeseed oil
·       1/4 tsp kosher salt
·       1 tsp diced jalapeño pepper (deveined and seeded)
·       2 garlic cloves, pressed

·       To make the marinade, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and chardonnay in a non reactive mixing bowl. Whisk in the oil a little at a time. Add the salt, jalapeño and garlic. Place the mahi-mahi in a non reactive container and pour the marinade over. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Remove the mahi-mahi from the marinade. Bring the marinade to a low boil in a non reactive saucepan or microwave the marinade on high for 3 minutes.

·       To grill, lightly brush the grill with vegetable oil. Grill and baste the mahi-mahi for about 5 minutes. Turn the fillets and grill for 3 to 4 more minutes or until the fish begins to flake when tested with a fork. Brush on a little of the warmed marinade while grilling. To cook indoors, preheat the oven to 350° f. Arrange the fish on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the fish begins to flake when tested with a fork.

Much to my surprise, I did find grapeseed oil…on the very top shelf.  It was $8 for a pretty big bottle, but I think regular olive oil would work just as well.  I did not, however, buy the chardonnay.  Why?  Well, because, I don’t really know what chardonnay is.  I looked it up on my iPhone and found out that chardonnay grapes are white grapes, so I just ended up buying some white cooking wine.  I also did not buy the jalapeño because I do not, not, not work with peppers.  Ever accidentally rub your eye after working with peppers?  We don’t need to talk about it.  I replaced the jalapeño with red chili flakes.  Finally, I just didn’t include the lemon zest at all.  I have yet to see how zest really improves a recipe that much.  Culinary blasphemy, I know, but that’s how I feel.

My fish marinated for almost the entire two hours, but had to cook for an extra minute or two in the oven.  It turned out moist and delicious and awesome!  I mean, it was the juiciest fish I’ve ever had.  I paired it with risotto and steamed broccoli with butter.  Oh, my ears and whiskers, delicious!  It’s not a cheap meal, but it’s really yummy, and Mike really enjoyed it.  Give it a shot on a special occasion.  I think you’ll like it too…if you like Mahi-Mahi, of course.

Happy Friday!
Dana

I hope you guys enjoy your weekend!

1 comment: