Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/28/2010

Piece of Pie Pillow...

I've had this idea floating around for a while, and I'm finally got around to making it. Too bad its an incomplete thought. I don't know how to finish this pillow. :(


Here's a free piece of advice.....ignore your computers while sewing. The picture below what happens to your fingers when you try to pin fabric while reading your brother-in-law's facebook post about how their dog, presumably Badger, locked them out of their house, while dinner was in the oven. Luckily, they are humans and sneaky and made it back into the house, but there was no word on how dinner fared. My finger....well, it'll heal. :)

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me figure out a good way to finish it! So on to the show!

What you need:
Striped Fabric
Kraft Paper

What you'll do:
I drew out a 7-1/2" long pie wedge on kraft paper and used this as my pattern.

Now here's the tricky part. This pattern is for stripes. Stripes can be a pain. Lay the pattern on the stripes so that the stripes run horizontally. You can also do vertically, but I did horizontally. Only cut one piece for right now.

Remove your kraft paper pattern and use the fabric as your pattern now. Line up the stripes and then cut 7 more wedges.

Sew up the wedges using a 1/2" seam and stopping about a 1/2" before the  point. Be careful not to stretch the sides, and I would sew towards the point. Line up the stripes and then sew. Sew 4 wedges together and then press. Sew the other 4 wedges and press those.



Sew the two halves together. Making sure to have all of your stripes aligned. there will be a bulge in the center so you will need to cut off some of the extra fabric.

So that's where I am now. I'm thinking of putting a rosette in the center of the pillow and tufting it, but I don't know what to do for the back. Decisions, decisions.

Updated! I took some of of your suggestions and here is how I finished this  puppy!

I added a 3" linen strip to the sides and back created a nice large 16" gusseted pillow. The center flower  is made from black felt and  then I tufted it with a nice wooden button. I am loving this little guy! :)

I hope you guys enjoyed today's post, and have a wonderful day!
Heather

Linking up to:
Visit thecsiproject.com

5 comments:

  1. I think a rosette may make it look a little too dated,but maybe not...or maybe that's what you are going for...how about trying a felted black flower silhouette and then making the centre with a beige button to match the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful idea! Now to find a flower template!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think piping around would really polish it off. It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make it an Umbrella pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a rosette in the center would love fabulous! I can't wait to see the finished product! Thanks for linking to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete