Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/18/2010

Some Assembly Required

Friday Food Frenzy

I know that today is Food Frenzy Friday, but I'm hijacking Dana's post for a small second to announce the winner of the $40 gift certificate!

And the winner is - Amy


Amy said...
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Abraham Lincoln




Congratulations Amy! Please contact me so that we can get you your $40 gift certificate pronto! :) Now back to your regularly scheduled post!

Congrats, lucky winner! Sorry, I wrote this before there was a winner. I really mean it, though. :-) And now for my delicious post!

For those of you that don't know, I love Asian food. Well, I love all kinds of food (see: my blog), but Asian is a particular obsession. That being the case, I really try to make it at home, but mastering this culinary corner of the world is not as easy as it looks. My favorite things to make are wontons and egg rolls. I've probably been through half a dozen different recipes for each, trying to find the best one. Some have been really good. Others...less than great. Here's the recipe I used this time.


Effortless Egg Rolls


-1/2 lb bulk pork sausage
-2-1/2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetable blend, thawed and chopped
-1 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
-10 egg roll wrappers
-Oil for deep-fat frying

In a large skillet, cook sausage and vegetables over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in te riyaki sauce.

Place 3 tablespoonsful of sausage mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper. (Keep remaini ng wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat.



In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls in batches for 3-4 min utes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 10 egg rolls.


I think there are a few different ways that this recipe could be done. For instance, I was tempted to chop the veggies in my food processor, but I was afraid it would be overkill. Instead I just used a Santoku. I also set up an assembly line for the manufacture of the rolls. This is the part I hate. If anyone knows a better way to build these things, please share!!! My egg rolls aren't so much rolls as badly wrapped packages. Well, anyway, the egg-badly-wrapped-packages got all fried up and golden in my deep-flyer.



Let's talk about deep fryers for a minute. Seriously, if you fry a lot of stuff, you have to get one of these. They are awesome! They do use a lot of oil, but you can save it and filter it for use again. When you make seventy wontons (not an exaggeration) for a Superbowl party, though, there's no need.

Anyway, back to the show. I really liked the way my egg thingamajigs turned out, except that I'm a little sausage-ed out lately. I think next time I'll use beef or just plain old ground pork. Perhaps I'll return one day with a do-over on this dish. Who knows? Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this little recipe and that you have more assembly-talent than me.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment