Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/25/2010

Today is Friday???

Photobucket

Good morning, everyone! I say good morning because I am actually writing this on Friday morning instead of Thursday or earlier like I usually do. It has not been a good week, but that didn't stop me from trying a new recipe! Sadly, I did completely forget to take pictures, so I apologize for that now. Did I mention it was not a good week? Well, I promise next week will be far more colorful. Now, with all that out of the way, here's the recipe...


Shred, Head, Butter and Bread


Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Cook Time=10 Minutes
Yields=4 Serving

Ingredients
• 1/2 stick unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup pulverized, seasoned croutons
• 2 pinches dry mustard
• 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
• 1 small head cabbage, shredded
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon sugar

Directions
Fill your largest pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil on high heat.
Melt the butter and croutons in a skillet. Add the mustard and caraway seeds and stir over medium heat until the butter browns and smells nutty. Remove the skillet from the heat, but leave dressing in the pan.
Add the salt and sugar to the boiling water and cook until dissolved. Place the cabbage in the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes exactly.
Drain the cabbage in the bowl of the salad spinner or colander. Spin the cabbage to remove any excess water. Add the cabbage to the butter-crumb dressing and toss to coat thoroughly.

As you can see, this recipe actually came from the Food Network's Alton Brown. I like it because 1) cabbage is really cheap--I've seen it down to 25 cents per pound before)--and tasty 2) it's silly-easy, and 3) the name is really fun to say--I think any kids you have will love to say this recipe name :-). Now, I know a lot of people either don't like cabbage or have never had it. Thankfully, Heather, Colie, and I had Bet as a grandmother, and she made delicious cabbage for us. Then again, even her "oops" dishes were masterpieces. The secret to cabbage is not overcooking it. Now, it's not a super-delicate food, and a little overcooking won't really affect it too badly, but, kind of like your dark, leafy greens (kale, spinach, etc.), too much cooking will cause your cabbage to get gross and smelly.

The croutons and butter in this recipe makes it very savory, though, I have to say I am not so much a fan of the caraway seeds. I tend not to like spices like this, though. Both caraway and cardamom are not my friends. Besides that, I can't help but wonder what it would be like if one left the croutons whole or didn't cook the butter and croutons. That would certainly simplify this recipe even more. I think I'll try that next time. As for right now, I have to go get ready for work!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about waking you up kiddo, but this recipe sounds yummy and I just happen to have a head of cabbage in my fridge.....YUM! Oh and I got the first bag of Bet's squash yesterday....we may have to do a post when you visit about Bet's A.MA.ZING squash casserole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Heather: Agreed! And fried squash too!

    ReplyDelete