Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/22/2010

Tackling a Dilemma

I'm really hoping that one of you craft-a-rific gals can help me out. Like yesterday. I've had this project thats lasted WAAAAAY to long, and I want to finish it up - Only I don't know exactly how to accomplish it.


Here's the Dilemma


I'd already started removing pictures when I thought, "HEY I should take some pictures so I can blog about this!" This was months ago! 
I had also already started combining some of the pictures into collages to save on space.
Here's what the wall looks like this evening. It needs some picture love.
I'd love to have a very nice arrangement of our family photos. I've moved our immediate family pictures to the wall opposite the main picture wall. Here's what it looks like now.
Wouldn't a tree look am.az.ing here? I can't sell that to Stephen. Sigh. But I like the clean and open look of this arrangement. There's room for the pictures to breathe.

Obviously this is my stairwell. Above the stairs going down is this:
Please pay no mind to the toy microphone at the top of the picture. :) 
The wall to the left in the picture is where the immediate family portraits are. So here are the remaining pictures. My original thought was to have a couple of empty frames to corral some of the smaller frames. But I need help laying this out. Oh and I'd like to get this done. Today. No pressure, gals.

So here's what I have to work with.

I would love all of you bloggy pals that much more if you could help me come up with something spectacular! Of course, I love all of you guys anyways, so I really don't know how much enticement this is, but it's what I've got. :)

Stephen would very much appreciate having those pictures out from in front of our front door as well....in case that works better. :)

I hope you all have a wonderful day, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Heather

4 comments:

  1. You do realize how challenging this is, don't you? hahaha. You see -- it's difficult to help because I can't touch and move things around. A couple things come to mind:

    1. Utilize the empty frames as though they were wainscoting (painting them the same color as the wall) -- but you would really need to have enough frames to create continuity, and I don't see enough of the same size.

    2. Do you have chunkier frames to work with? Spray paint them in coordinating colors?

    3. Coordinate some plates or sconces, plaques in this groups to create additional interest to the grouping?

    4. Frame a few large individual numbers or letters, perhaps a "monogram" that you print from the computer?

    5. Think "odd" numbers when putting your small groupings together within the large grouping (looks like you're already doing that).

    If you could do just one thing -- I would recommend at least a few chunky frames to add importance to your arrangement. I think that the layout is good, but the wedding picture, for example, could really use a nice chunky frame. Put a thick frame on the artwork.

    I hope this was helpful in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh -- One other thing you could do is paint the section of the wall where these will be hanging in a different color. For example, if the pictures take up a 3' x 5' section of your wall, paint that section a different "coordinating" wall color -- a darker version of what you currently have or even a lighter version -- something to make it stand apart -- maybe frame that area with molding. Ok -- that's all I can think of. I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that I am a photographer and that saying you have above your stairs is the slogan I use on my business cards, brochures etc. Where on earth did you get that wall decal?...oh and your doing an amazing job...if I had ANY expertise in collaging a bunch of photos together I'd help but I'm no good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for you all of the suggestions Jan! Unfortunately what you see is what I've got. I have a couple of extra frames to work with but they are more of the same style as what's down there. I love the idea of incorporating other elements tho. I wonder if I have anything in my stash that would act as a place filler until I find the perfection......I'll have to raid my closet. Unfortunately I don't want to paint anything yet, because I do eventually want to paint the walls a cinnamon sugar color. Hmmmm....I have things to think about.

    @Traveling Thrifter - I got the vinyl from Scribble It. I think they're closed right now though because of a move, but I have had wonderful experiences with them.

    ReplyDelete