Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/06/2010

10 Things you don't know About Me!

I'm jumping on the trend-bandwagon and doing a post about 10 things you may or may not  know about me! I might have some difficulty, which is unfortunate, because I think it'd be hilarious to be able to convey how  much time goes into writing some of these posts. Sometimes they fly right off my fingertips and other times I'm sitting looking at my computer wracking my brain to be able to find the words that will convey in a sensible manner what it is I'm trying to explain. So on to the fun!




1.

 I hate carrots. I cook with them all the time, but unless I can swallow them, without chewing and having them touch my tongue, you will find them discreetly pushed off to the side of my plate. I have even been guilty of giving my carrots to Dev.



2.

My very first sewing machine was a little antique singer that had a hand crank and the only stitch it knew was a chain stitch. I made tons of things with it though, especially Barbie clothes. I would buy a pattern {Mom would actually but it, cause I was like 7} and then alter it and make wonderful dresses for my Barbies. Fat Quarters are great for Barbie clothes.



3.

I'm a planner. I have a Mead 5-subject notebook that has all of my notes from eternity, or at least from my wedding, including sketches of what I wanted my wedding dress to look like. Mom made my wedding dress after we picked out and combined patterns to get the look I wanted. It also contains the decorating schemes for quite a few houses. I knew the decorating scheme for the house we bought 2 or 3 years before we even bought it. I knew the decorating scheme for the previous rental before we moved down from Jersey. I have a problem. :)


4.

When I got married, I had convinced Stephen that I could not cook and that if I did I would probably accidentally poison him. So for the first few years of our marriage he did all the cooking, except at holidays where these wonderful skills would appear and I would be able to whip up a meal for 8 people without any poisoning incidents. He now, of course, knows better and while I still do a lot of the cooking, he does help out, because the grill and I are not friends.


5.

My last name is Armenian. Stephen's father's family is from there. My sister-in-law's name is also Heather, luckily we have different middle names. My maiden name was Smith, more on this later.




6.

I love incorporating family into just about everything. The boy's middle names are both from family, and Harrison was named in honor of my father-in-law, whose name is Harry. Kincaid is from my father's side of the family, and Gaskill is from Mom's side. Coincidentally, Gaskill was also the last name of a pirate who competed with Black Beard down along North Carolina's coast. Yes, we are related. :)
Here are both sides of the family! There are quite a few members missing, but this was at Harrison's baptism in March. 

7.

I often wonder why my parents just didn't name me Heather-Anne. That's what they call me all the time. It started out that that's what they'd call me when I got in trouble. Then it became commonplace. Dad says its because Mom couldn't spell hyphen. Very funny Dad. My full name growing up was Heather Anne Smith.....because there aren't about 12,000 of us out there.


8.

Before wife and mom-hood, I was into cars. This is how Stephen and I met. We both owned the newer generation of the Mercury Cougar. Mine was awesomer than his. At the height of awesomeness, she looked like this - 
Photobucket
It's too bad that I don't remember everything I did to her, but I do remember she had new exhaust, headers, upper intake manifold, throttle body, air filter, plugs, wires, and fuel injectors. I also had a pretty kickin' sound system in her which mainly consisted of Kenwood things....sometimes I miss my subs. 



9.

Being a mom is the only thing I've ever known I wanted to be when I grew up. I wanted to be like my mom, Bet and Gee. I miss Gee a lot. She's been gone for 16 years and I think she'd be proud of what I've done and become. Gee was my great-grandmother and Bet's mom. 
Photobucket
Gee and Bet in Gordonsville, VA


10.

I want a third child, even though Stephen is still completely on the fence about it, and he may even be hanging out on the not-gonna-happen side of it, but I'm still hoping that he'll come around. I am also convinced that if we do have a third then he will be a boy, because Stephen only makes one model. Ok that's probably not true, but its fun to joke about. I would love to have a girl, but when you get right down to  it. I just want healthy. We've been blessed that so far we've missed a lot of bullets with Dev's heart condition (he has cor triatriatum). What I mean is that while his left atrium is split into two sections, the membrane is not obstructing any blood flow which means that they don't have to do surgery. This is a great relief because when we found out at 6 weeks (he was 6 weeks old) that he had this condition and that would require open-heart surgery before his first birthday we were scared, mad, terrified, upset at it. I did not want my perfect little boy's chest to be marred in any way, shape or form. Luckily, while he has a classic case, he is asymptomatic and can lead a full life. If it does start to be an issue, we'll worry about that then, but so far, through all the growth spurts etc....we've been lucky. I am now going to knock on the largest piece of wood I can find. 


I hope you guys have enjoyed this sharing post! 
Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for this. i love learning about other people. im a 'beth anne' for a 1st name. i guess my parents thought that i would be in trouble alot so they didnt bother with a middle name

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed this post first time around! I might have to be a copy-cat and do something like this, too... :)

    ReplyDelete