Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

1/06/2011

More Glitter than a Strip Club

So my New Year's Mantle and Tablescape has been up for a while now, and I dunno if you noticed or not but the colors I picked for them were aqua and copper. Love that combination. Really I love anything with copper. I love the bright orangey-tone to it. Orange makes me happy. H-A-PP-Y! So now we know why I have so much copper/orange in my decorating.

I used to have a winter wreath. It was from Target and it did not even last two winters before we had to trash it. Sadness. So I had a couple of old Christmas wreaths laying around that I knew I could recycle. So here's my first crafty post of 2011!

I took off all the picks and saved the ones I could. Then the wreaths took a trip to my painting plywood out in the garage and got a couple of sloppy coats of blossom white spray paint. I didn't do a terrific job because I wanted the wreaths to look frosted. After they dried, I brought them back inside and got to work on the fun part.

Michael's had all of their Christmas picks and floral on 60-75% clearance a few weeks ago, so I snatched up the glittery materials I needed. Yay for saving $$$. So I cut everything but the large copper picks apart. Then I just hot glued everything in. I am loving the finished product.
 
Oh you noticed that I said I had a couple of wreaths? Well the original plan was to have two wreaths on the door. One hanging from the other, the only problem with this plan was that my wreaths were too big and the 2nd wreath ended up hanging right about door knob level. So I gave the second wreath to my mom. :)

The best quote came from this project as well. We all know that glitter sheds {a lot} and as I was busily trying to clean it all up before the hubs noticed just how much {more} glitter I had added to the already glitterfied kitchen.

Well he noticed, and as he watched me repeatedly clean the island trying to rid it of all the glitter that had shed from these wreaths he said, "This room has more glitter than a strip club, you know that right?"

To which I just look at him {probably covered in head to toe in glitter} and gave him the best stink eye I could muster just grimaced at him. Then I returned to the mop, vacuum and wet cloth. I am still finding glitter in the kitchen.....a full week after I got this project done. le sigh. I will win this glitter war eventually. Hopefully. Because the hubs asked if we could have a glitter-free winter next year, and well, I just laughed at him. :) Maybe for Valentine's Day I'll go glitter free. Maybe.

I hope you guys have a terrifically glittery day today!

Heather

Linking up to:
Visit thecsiproject.com

16 comments:

  1. LOL! Love your hubby's comment! And I love how your wreath turned out. I had to trash a couple of wreaths this year...kicking myself now for not thinking to upcycle them a bit. Must be the blonde coming out in me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great sassy bow!

    and lol at the glitter comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your wreath is FABULOUS! Your bow is to die for, and heck the way I see it the more glitter the better!! Found you over at Tatertots and Jello!

    Jeana
    inplaceofhercrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaaaa!!! Best. Quote. EVER! I love glitter too. :) Super cute wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glitter- the STD of the craft world. It just keeps on spreading! I love the wreath, though- the glitter bomb was worth it.

    bec@theiheartblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you linked over at tatertots! This wreath is to DIE for!! I am seriously In-LOVE with it!! I love your blog too, your kids are adorable!! I put a picture of your wreath over at my blog, and would love it if you'd come check it out and follow along! Ah, so cute! www.myyellowsandbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute project! Thanks for sharing.

    Happy day~happy year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, glitter is the herpes of the craft world: Just when you think it's gone for good it reappears!

    I love your wreath. I'm going to study your pics and make something fantabulous for my door for Valentine's Day. Hot pink strip club, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun very chilly looking wreath! Love the silver and blue!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fun and fabulous wreath! I love how you were able to repurpose some old materials.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your door looks gorgeous!

    Sue @ Beach Bungalow
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely LOVE this!! And your husband is hilarious!! My hubby has said something very similar after I had glitterfied a project!! Ha! I was struggling with winter decorating, but now I have a perfect project to copy for next year!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your wreath is amazing. I love glitter and your wreath certainly delivers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wreath is so fun! The colors look great with your front door, too. I just finished a glitter project and tried like crazy to get it off of me before going out to pick up a craigslist item. I was paying with singles and didn't want her to think I was a gogo dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your glittery wreath! You need to ask him how he knows about the glitter in a strip club! :) Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH and don't forget to add the OMTWI button to your post or sidebar! :)

    ReplyDelete