Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

6/16/2011

Welcoming some new neighbors...

Tuesday morning - my first morning back from TN with the kids, found me outside with the boys. While they created more chalk masterpieces on the driveway, I decided that my geraniums needed some water. So I pull them down.

For those of you who have 'liked' Straight Stitches on facebook, then you know what is about to come. I apologize for the redundancy of this post, but figured that I should at least bring everyone up to speed. :)

As I am watering my geraniums, I notice that one of them as a lot of grass and crap in it. So I take a closer look.

Here's what I found.
Do you see it?

Let's take a closer look...

Yep, there are three little eggs in my hanging basket.

And crap! I've just watered them. See the water in the nest? Well I gently tip the basket this way and that to get all the water out without moving the eggs. And I did a durn good job of it too. :)

Then I can't remember which side of the porch the basket came from. Crap!

I go in the house and hollar up to Steve, who was still sleeping, and he grumpily tells me that it was down at the far side of the porch.

So I quickly put the basket back at the end of the porch and spend like the next day praying that the Momma bird comes back to take care of her babies, because I will feel like total crap if she doesn't.

So now Dev and I have a science project. Momma bird did come back. Dev startled her yesterday while coming back inside yesterday from playing, and he said she flew out of the basket. We had to go outside and take a look at her. I didn't think to bring the camera, but after doing some google searches.

We think our new neighbors are house finches, and when I played the bird song, yep, definitely what we have outside.

So now I have a new problem. How do I water my flowers now?

So over the next two weeks we're on baby bird watching duty. I know the nest and the eggs were not in the flowers last week, before I left on my trip, so it gives us a pretty good timeline and hopefully in about two weeks we'll have a trio of new baby birds. :)

See you guys later!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. No advice on the watering, but cute eggs!

    ReplyDelete