Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

9/07/2012

Attempt Number Two


Okay, so remember last week where I had a plan to try a new dish, but it didn't work out because my girlfriends and I all stuffed ourselves before I could make it?  Great!  We're all up to speed.  This particular little gem came from Pinterest, but the original source is here.

Like the blog entry's author, I tweaked the recipe to my own taste.  Firstly, I used real eggs because I don't mess around with stuff like liquid egg whites.



Okay, yes, I'm sure you're all thinking the same thing: Why aren't the sweet potatoes orange?  I don't know the answer to that.  Some of the things I get from the farm are the same as what I buy in the grocery store.  Apparently this is a legitimate variety, though.



If you look closely, though, you can see some orange-ish streaks.



Wait.  You want me to grate all that by hand?  Haha.  Oh, silly.  I'm far too clever for that.  Shredder blade = my friend.



This dish towel is really big, so don't be fooled.  That's a ton of potatoey goodness right there.



This is, in my opinion, the only way to get rid of the excess water in potatoes, spinach, etc.  Make science work for you!



Okay, here's where I really started to deviate from the recipe.  Like I said, I don't fool with liquid egg whites, so I added five eggs.  It was an educated guess, and it turned out to be correct.  I also added three cloves of minced garlic.  Warning: Because of the lack of sautéing, this will make your potato cakes very garlicky, which I love, but not everyone will.  If you want the garlic taste without the bite, either saute it first or use garlic powder.



I just used a tablespoon to mix and then dole out my cakes, and I used my hands to sort of shape them , but I didn't pack them very tightly.  Just enough to make them hold their shape.  Also, I greased the cooling rack as suggested, but it didn't make a difference.  They still stuck on for dear life.  Next time, parchment paper.


Aw snap!  Look at those babies.  and they're baked, not fried, which is great!  I ended up cooking mine for about 35 minutes.

What can I say?  It's a hash brown, which is awesome!  I bet you could do this same thing with any type of hard, grate-able vegetable: Parsnips, carrots, turnips, beets.  Mmmmm, sounds like a new fall favorite.  Easy, delicious, and not fried.  What more could you want?


No comments:

Post a Comment