Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/05/2012

Backsliding




One this episode of Starbucks Crossed Love...

Starbucks: Dana, my darling, it's autumn.  The leaves are changing, the wind blows colder, and apples are in season.  Apples, my lovely.  Why don't you have a nice warm Caramel Apple Spice.

Dana: Starbucks, sweetie, I don't need your Caramel Apple Spice.  I can make that myself now.  We've talked about this.  We can never go back to what we used to be.

Starbucks: Another, Dana?  Another copycat recipe?  You wound me.  Still...how about a Salted Caramel Mocha?  It's new.

Dana: Curse you...

I know!  I know!  I said I broke up with Starbucks, that it was just going to be a road trip booty call from now on.  Starbucks is crafty, though, the way it keeps on enticing me with new and delicious drinks.  Well, at least I don't have to pay for Caramel Apple Spices any longer.  Where did I find such a great copycat recipe?  I'll give you one guess.  I'll wait while you think about this...

...

That's right!  Pinterest!  The original post is here.  This could not be easier.  Let's do this!



Easy start.  The syrup will darken as it cooks down.  Above is the beginning and end of the cooking process.  Yes, really, this is the only cooking required.



Now for the apple juice.  I got one with no sugar added just in case--some apple juices are just so sweet, I thought it might be too much when the syrup was added.  Good thing I have this handy-dandy beaker cup for measuring.  Also, if you know me and you know what the company I work for does (we test urine samples!), this is kind of a gross picture.  Think about it...



There's the cinnamon-y syrup all ready to go.  Look at how much that made!  The cost of the homemade syrup is probably a fraction of how much the drink from Starbucks costs.  Now we just need some hot apple juice.



Voila!  Caramel Apple Spice.  "But wait!" you say.  "Where's the whipped cream and caramel?"  I don't take my CAS with whipped cream and caramel, so I didn't bother with them.

This.  Is.  AWESOME!  It's like autumn in a mug.  So sweet and cinnamon-y and apple-licious!  And just like what you can get from Starbucks.  LOOOOOOOVE!  Yeah, I'm sure I'm going to backslide once in a while, but not for a Caramel Apple Spice. :-)


Bonus
I made this kale, beet, and bacon dish this week, too, but I didn't take any pictures.  I honestly didn't think it was going to be that great.  I really just needed some way to use up some stuff that was sitting in my fridge.  I was wrong; it's fantastic!  I do think the recipe has you cook the kale too long, but it turned out really nice anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment