Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

1/25/2013

Small, Quick, and Incredible


I have a problem.  Most of the recipes I find and make serve anywhere between four and six people...eighteen if it's soup for some reason.  Since it's just Mike and me, that means a lot of leftovers.  Sorry puppies, none for you.  Start cleaning up your own muddy paw prints, and we'll talk.  That's why I love it when I come across a recipe that serves just one or two.  It has to be simple, though; I have issues when the amount of work required for a dish isn't proportional to the end result.  I'm looking at you, homemade stuffed pasta.  Anyhoo, I have two of these fantastic little gems for you this week.

The first one is Oeufs en Cocotte (Eggs in Pots) from Rachel Khoo.  If you have not seen this little chickadee on Cooking Channel, you are missing out because she is the cutest little thing ever.  I love her and want to be her friend.  I'm not actually writing out her recipe here, however, because it's so simple, you really don't need it.  Of course, I put my own spin on it.



Here's the lineup: Eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg, paprika, cumin, and Greek yogurt.  The recipe calls for creme fraiche, but I am not French and I didn't have any.  I had Greek yogurt, and, if Chobani's conversion charts are to be believed, you can replace nearly any dairy product with Greek yogurt to some extent or other.  Trust me, this was a good choice.



Seriously easy.  A big dollop of Greek yogurt and big pinches of the spices.  Crack the egg on top.  You could mix the spices with the Greek yogurt, but I didn't even use the whole cup.



A bit more yogurt on top, more spices, and into a water bath.



I cooked mine for about 20 or 25 minutes, so my yolk got semi cooked.  15 is probably as low as I would go.  Oh!  And I topped it with a bit of shaved Parmesan cheese too.  What doesn't taste better topped with cheese?  My buttery toast you see there was for dipping.

And there you have it.  Francy-schmancy breakfast.  You could do up a whole bunch of these at once for a brunch and impress everyone you know!  Also, fun fact, I tried this recipe on a lark.  That's right, I didn't know whether or not I would like it at all; I was just curious.  Turns out it's AMAZING!!!  Delightful even. :-)

Time for recipe number two...



Pinterest, how I love thee.  The original source is here.  I'm not even sure this could be called a recipe, though.  It's that easy.  I don't remember if I actually used a sweetener, but, if I did, I used honey.  That actually makes me think...I could just buy the Greek yogurt that comes with honey.  Two birds, one stone.  Gosh, I'm smart!  :-p  Anyway, Step 1 - Open a single serve cup of Greek yogurt.  Step 2 - Make a well in the center of your Greek yogurt.  This will help prevent the same type of mess I made all over.


Step 3 - Mix completely.  Step 4 - Eat!

Dude, this is so great!  Greek yogurt has some wicked tang to it, but the bitterness of the cocoa balances with it perfectly.  Even better, YOU CAN EAT YOUR CHOCOLATE "PUDDING" FOR BREAKFAST!!!  Maybe I should have called this post "The Greatest Breakfasts With Greek Yogurt Eveeeeeeeeeer".  Oh well.  There's not much more to say about these recipes other than you're welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment