Follow Sew Half Crazy via email...

I'm so excited to share this post. It was one of the most popular posts on my old blog, and it's easy to do. It just requires a ...

Quilled Monogram

By 8/07/2015 ,

I'm so excited to share this post.

It was one of the most popular posts on my old blog, and it's easy to do.

It just requires a bit of patience and maybe, a movie or two.

It's really that easy. No lies. I got the inspiration from this post {HERE}. The original post is from June 2010.

Quilled Monogram

Supplies: 

  • Lots of 1/8" - 1/4" strips of paper
  • Paper, size of your choosing 
  • Glue
  • Pin, Needle or Quilling Tool
Oh how I wish that the first letter of my last name did not have any curves. To all of you with first letters of your last names that don't include a curve - you're so lucky, but I would absolutely do this project again. 

*Note - I have done this project again, many times over. Still one of my favorites and it's an easy gift to give people who may not always know what to give. 

Instructions:

I started off by printing off my letter in a shade similar to the background, but dark enough for me to see. 


There aren't a lot of corners to be utilized in a B, but luckily since this was sized for a 4x6 I got away with only using 2 strips. Starting and stopping at corners makes this process much easier.


Also I ended up gluing my curves piece meal. I paint some modge podge onto the outline then press the paper into it, gently following the outline, and at the curves I worked in smaller sections, because the paper wanted to do one thing, and I wanted it to do something else. 

So here is she is in her outlined glory.


 I've started adding the coils to the letter. I used a pin to start tightly rolling the coils.

I used my fingers to keep the paper tightly coiled as I dipped it in a bit of glue, and then I placed it down in the spot I wanted it. I used the pin, again, to let the coil unroll only as far as I wanted it to. I then pressed down on the coil for a second or two.


 Here she is almost done. You can see where I added the outline of where the mat would go.
I had an 8x10 frame matted for 5x7, and I  should have added this outline first, but c'est la vie. It all worked out.


 Here is the still drying monogram.


Here is the monogram, 5 years later, and still looking just as beautiful as the day I finished it. Not to bad for just glue and paper.


I hope you guys enjoyed this reintroduced post, and hopefully will be inspired to quill up some art for your home.

Have a terrific weekend.

Linking up to:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. That really is beautiful - and you've made it sound so easy too, maybe one day I'll give it a go! :) #showandtell

    ReplyDelete