Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/26/2015

What To Eat Wednesday - My Monte Cristos



I posted this 5 years ago, and we still love these sandwiches. They're even picky eater approved. Score!!

There used to be a restaurant in Warrenton that had fabulous Monte Cristos. Unfortunately, they are no longer around, and I despaired of ever having their Monte Cristos again.

Then a light bulb went off and I decided to look through my many cookbooks and create my own Monte Cristos.

So 5 years have gone by, and I've, of course, updated this recipe a bit, but I'm happy to share it again.



My Monte Cristos


Ingredients

  • 1/2" - 3/4" Thick Sliced Bread (I usually bake my own either from scratch or from frozen dough)
  • 1 Apple
  • 1/2 pound Deli Sliced Meat (usually I mix turkey and ham)
  • 4 slices of Cheese (provolone or swiss is usually what I go with)
  • 2 Eggs, beaten
  • A good splash of Milk
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • Dash of Nutmeg
  • Raspberry Jam
  • Butter or Nonstick Spray


Directions

  1. Heat up a pan that is large enough to cook all 4 sandwiches at once. I use an electric skillet set to 300. My pan is truly non-stick, so I don't use spray or butter. 
  2. Core and slice your apple into apple. I happen to like Apple O's, but wedges would be fine, just make sure they're not to thick. The apple should be warmed when the sandwich is done.
  3. Assemble your sandwiches with a few slices of deli meat, a piece of cheese and the apple slice.

  4. Mix eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt & pepper together, in a sandwich dipping friendly container. 
  5. It's assembly line time! Have your egg mixture right in front of your pan. Dip your first sandwich in the egg mixture, coat the other side then immediately place the sandwich into the pan. Repeat with the other 3 sandwiches. Cook for about 4 minutes, then flip. The second side will cook much faster, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.

  6. Cut each sandwich in half and serve with a dollop of raspberry jam. 

I love this recipe, and it is one of our favorite meals. Its not one of our healthiest choices, but it's also not terrible. Remember moderation in everything, including moderation!


I would have snapped a picture of my Big Guy eating his sandwich last week, when we made this, but he scarfed it down so fast that I didn't have a chance! Here he is, 5 years ago, enjoying his sandwich. I can't believe that he'll be entering double digits this year!? How is he that old already?

Enjoy and have a great day!

Linking up to:

Handmade Hangout Linky Party: from g2b

No comments:

Post a Comment