Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

8/19/2015

What to Eat Wednesday - Shazam! Chicken Curry



I visited my sister in April, and she made me this terrific chicken curry dish.

It was amazing, and I knew that my family would love it. We have this amazing Indian restaurant near us, and it is one of our favorite restaurants. Big Guy and I share a favorite dish there, the chicken tiki masala. So, so good. This dish reminds us of their dish. I mean, theirs is better, but for home cooking this recipe is top notch.

So I asked Dana to share the recipe, who in turn asked her husband to email me the recipe. The email he sent me was titled, "Shazam!" Now you know how this dish got its name in my house.

I apologize for the single photo of this amazing dish, and its quality, but by the time I remembered to snap a picture, I was on my second helping and had already mixed it all up. Its just that good.

So without further ado, here is Shazam! Chicken Curry!

Shazam! Chicken Curry

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb Chicken Breasts, cut up into bite size bits
  • 2 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Onion, diced
  • 1 400 ml can Coconut Milk (this is a normal sized can)
  • Cilantro to garnish (we almost always forget this)
  • Salt, to taste
  • 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp Curry Powder or
    • 1 tsp garlic powder, or several cloves crushed
    • 1 tbsp Cumin
    • 2 tsp Coriander
    • 1 tsp Chili Powder
    • 1 tsp Turmeric
  • Cooked Rice

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in large pan on medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt them liberally, and saute until golden brown. 
  2. Add the chicken, garlic, and the rest of the spices. Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes have thickened. 
  3. Lower the heat to medium and add the coconut milk. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes more, until the mixture is bubbling again. 
  4. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice. 
You can also make this dish with 1 lb of shrimp (peeled, deveined, and tail off). If you decide to make the dish with shrimp instead of chicken, add the shrimp after the mixture is bubbling again, and let the shrimp cook through. Everything else stays the same. 

I really hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as my family does. Have a happy Wednesday!

Linking up to:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment