Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/04/2016

What to Eat Wednesday - Apple Pie Tartine


I'm back today with another Trumped up Toast or Tartine recipe. I do really like the trumped up toast moniker that Dana came up with in this What to 2 Eat Wednesday post.  

As she mentioned in her post, we spent a good 30 minutes throwing ideas around for new variations of tartines. This apple pie recipe was one of those. 

This variation took some time to perfect. I tried using applesauce at first, and it just wasn't chunky enough. The flavors were there, but it lacked a good mouth-feel. 

So after several attempts, and a few conversations with the hubs and Dana, I decided to throw all of our ideas out the window when I passed a can of apple pie filling in Target one day. 

I had been meandering the aisles with Smally Fry when out of my eye I see the pie fillings. Lightbulbs and sirens went off in my head. Apple pie filling would be perfect for the tartine. It'd have the chunky apples I was looking for and the appropriate spices. So I swiped up a can. I was giddy over the thought of the deliciousness I was going to make. 

The next morning couldn't come fast enough, and I was not disappointed by my creation!


Apple Pie Tartine


Ingredients

  • 2 waffles (I use store brand buttermilk waffles)
  • 1/4 C Ricotta (you can make your own {HERE})
  • 1/3 C Apple Pie Filling
  • Small palmful of walnuts
  • Apple Pie Spice
  • Drizzle of Caramel Sauce (just to be a bit decadent)

Directions

  1. Toast the waffles to your preferred doneness. Smear half of the ricotta onto each waffle. Top each half of the waffle with half of the apple pie filling. Layer one waffle on top of the other. 
  2. Dust the top of the waffles with apple pie seasoning. Crush the walnuts in your hand and sprinkle them over the waffles. Top with a drizzle of caramel sauce. 
It's really that simple and totally delicious. One can of Apple pie filling is good for about 4 breakfasts, or one family serving of this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment