Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

10/06/2017

Pattern Review - McCall's M7431


Ok, it's truth time. Who has bought fabric and a pattern with the intention of getting it made within the month and then it sits around your house for a year?

Fess up. We all have. I certainly have. This is the case with this particular pattern. Part of the delay was also nailing down which view I wanted to make, but really that was only a small part of it.

I was just lazy, but then when your anniversary rolls around and you want to wear something snazzy and new for the husband, guess who digs through her stash and finds the year-old project? Me!

This pattern goes together so easily. There are a few options to choose from, and you can really mix and match the elements that you like. I decided that the dress the model was wearing was the one I was finally going to decide on.

It helps that the Boho look is back, and I was feeling particularly spunky because I have a great pair of stacked lace-up heels that don't hurt my feet, and that's a bonus when you're suffering from plantar fasciitis and you still want to wear cute heels and not limp.  The cherry-on-top to all of this is said heels make your legs look really good.

There's definitely something to be said for a great pair of heels that not only boost your confidence and look good with a myriad of outfits.

I digress. Back to the pattern, after I decided on the dress, got it cut out, realized I forgot to cut out the back neck facing, and then had to cut out that facing piece from muslin, I realized just how much I had the poly blend I was using. I mean, I've used poly blends before and it's nothing new. The slickness of the fabric is just a pain, not to mention how much it sheds. The pattern calls for cotton blends, challis and the like and while my fabric has a similar drape as those, I bet those cotton blends do a bit better when it comes to putting in the eyelets for the lacing up the bodice. The piping around the neck might also have been easier in a less slick fabric.

Speaking of piping, it's a lovely detail only you can't really see it in the print I choose. This pattern would make an excellent foray into adding those little dressmaker details in a newer sewer.

I'm still terrible at taking pictures of myself wearing my creations. Seriously, I could use some help, tips, anything. I was quite happy with the dress. I didn't have to lengthen it like I usually do, which was a nice surprise. Oh, and no I'm not going to show off my terrible pictures of me wearing the dress. You're just going to have to take my word for it.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment