Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

3/22/2016

Pattern Review - McCall's 7026

Hey all! I'm reviewing another exercise pattern by McCall's today.

This one is a jacket, and I am in love with it.

The pattern is fairly straightforward, until you get to the back of the jacket. The back is what sold me on this pattern.

Look at those ruffles! Look at the lace! Just look. What's not to love?

I ended up finding a really nice mid-weight stable knit fabric for this jacket, and it worked so well. I wouldn't go with something that doesn't have any body. The jacket needs the structure. The stretch lace was a bit of a pain, but when is it not?

For the overlay and ruffle a lighter weight knit would be fine. You could go crazy here.


The pattern isn't difficult to sew up, but you do need to install a zipper and the curve at the top of the back could be troublesome, because the guide sheet doesn't really tell you how the back should look after you stitch the yoke pieces to the back. A better illustration would help.


The pattern had thumbholes in the cuffs again, but I opted to not even bother with them, because of the thumbhole problem I had with the teal shirt. I don't really need them either, I'm perfectly happy pulling the cuffs to my knuckles and leaving it at that.

I also love that this jacket has pockets. Pockets are always a good thing.

The jacket felt marvelous after the race. It was the right combination of snug and loose. The fabric was also just right for being warm enough and light enough to not get too warm. I don't know that I'd make this pattern again, unless I needed a new jacket, but it was a fun pattern and would probably be good for an advanced beginner or an intermediate sewer.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment