Follow Sew Half Crazy via email...

I love when a project is done, and looks as good in real life as when you first thought up the idea. I especially love when a project g...

Faux Reclaimed Wood Cornices

By 7/05/2016 ,


I love when a project is done, and looks as good in real life as when you first thought up the idea.

I especially love when a project goes easily, then gets a bit annoying, and then ends up finishing on a high note. Ok, I don't actually love that. I wish this project had just gone the way it was supposed to. Easily.

No such luck.

The first cornice went up like a dream. The second cornice......

I digress.

This project is easy, and doesn't cost a lot. Less than $30 for 2 wood cornices. One of those cornices is also 7' long.

So here's what I used.

11 -  8' 1x4 furring strips (these babies only cost $1.97 per piece @ Lowe's)
*This is rough wood, but I was going for a reclaimed look so it was perfect
1 - 10' 1x6
10 corner braces
7 "L" brackets (I used two different sizes, because my cornices are different depths)
* I took some "L" brackets off an old project for the smaller cornice, but bought 4" "L" brackets for the big one

I had decided early on that I wanted my cornices somewhere in the range of 18" tall, so I bought enough boards to come close to that. I ended up with 5 furring strips stacked next to each other, which put me at 17.5". Close enough.

Then I just attached my corner braces to the side pieces of wood that I'd cut down to size.  Measured the top inside length, between the side pieces, and cut a piece of wood to fit inside. I attached the top piece with 2" wood screws on the sides.


Then it was time to stain. The 2nd cornice sent me to the ER, at this point. My can opener slipped and landed in my index finger just above the lowest joint. 2 stitches later, we were in business.

I found the studs in the wall, and then used a scrap piece of wood as a guide for where my L brackets should sit. I wanted to just be able to slide the cornices onto the brackets and then be able to screw them in from underneath. This was much easier on the 2nd cornice, because the sides on that cornice are from a 1x6. The 1x4 was a little more difficult to maneuver, but a really long screwdriver got the job done. The cornices sit flush against the ceiling, but don't interfere with the can light above the sink.



After I got the cornices up, I went about hanging back up the copper jell-o molds. I love how the cornices look, and that they help tidy up the look of my kitchen.

Now I just need some more copper to fill out the other cornice.

You Might Also Like

0 comments