Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

9/20/2016

Pattern Review - McCall's 6469

So if you've been reading this blog lately, then you know that I've been trying to use up my stash of fabric. Apparently, I'm also going through old patterns and finally making them. Nothing like wanting new clothes and not having to go out and find something. It's almost like free clothing. I mean I know I paid for all the stuff at one time, but that time is not right now, so it does feel like I'm able to update my wardrobe for free.

We have a wedding to go to soon, and this is as good a reason as any to whip up a cute new shirt. This shirt is going to be perfect for when I feel like a busted can of biscuits. Ladies, you know those days, and you know which ones I'm talking about. I really do like how feminine this shirt is, and I really like how the model on the pattern is wearing it with a pencil skirt. I have a pencil skirt that I think will work so off to work I go. 

The first problem, came when I didn't have enough of my sheer fabric. Luckily, I did have some leftover lining fabric that matched my main fabric, so rather than self lining this top, I lined it with my new fabric and went along my merry way. I opted to make view "D". I'm over the handkerchief hem. View "D" also allowed me to hide the lining fabric to a degree, because the bottom isn't graduated like it is in some of the other views. Win, win!

The pattern is not simple, and I'd really only recommend it to confident, intermediate skilled sewers. Some of the directions are wonky and take experience to know how to accomplish what they want you to do. The elastic below the shoulders is one such example. How they tell you do the elastic, and the way you end up having to do it are two different things.

I maybe should've lengthened the top, but I didn't think about it and I don't think it's too short looking on me. I paired it with my skinny jeans for the photo, because the skirt I was going to pair it with - well I didn't like how it looked with the top, so I've already gotten another pattern in the works. A simple pencil skirt from a pattern that I may have bought in 2002......

Until next time, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment