Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

11/14/2016

Pattern Review - Elsewhen Rosabelle Cloche

Photo Credit: Nancy Milburn Klek
If y'all read the blog post about my gold cup dress then you know that our theme this year was a 20's speakeasy, and the perfect hat for said theme was a cloche!

Luckily, I found a free pattern to make your own cloche. I was able to make this hat with leftover fabric from my dress and then I jazzed it up a bit more.

So the pattern I found for the cloche was from Elsewhen and is the Rosabelle pattern.

I found the pattern through another blog I follow, Sew Momma Sew, and her review of the pattern was spectacular.

The actual pattern is also super easy to follow, with well written directions, and pictures.

I used the satin from the contrast of my dress as a nice compliment to the outfit. I reinforced the satin with cotton muslin as recommended by Elsewhen. I then used the leftover lining fabric I had from the dress to line this hat. You can't get much more coordinated than that.

After I got the shell of the hat done, I needed to add some flair to it. I mean it's basically going to be a derby hat. It's gotta have some flair. A trip to Michael's solved my dilema. I found an extra large dahlia, a feather pick, and some sheer ribbon to tie my hat into my blue brocade dress. After many trial and errors, I finally found the perfect configuration of accessories and how I would fold up the brim of the hat.

So, I have a big head, and even bigger hair. What I thought was going to be a problem, ended up not being a problem, because it was so windy, remember the 20 mph winds I mentioned yesterday, hats were blowing all over the place. Not mine. I left my hair curly and did a low gibson roll, and then the hat didn't fit over my hair and head, so I shoved my hair up into that hat, and the hat didn't move at all. My hair anchored it all day long. The only thing that was concerning was the extra large dahlia I put on my hat, but I did reinforce its attachment with an extra brooch pin, so it wasn't going anywhere.


I cannot express how happy I was with my hat, or that Elsewhen offered it for free. It was the perfect accessory to such a fun day,

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment