Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

5/29/2018

French Braided Pillow V2.0


Several years ago, I saw a pillow at Target that I knew I could replicate. The problem at the time with the pillow from Target was that it was the wrong color. So I took some fabric that matched my decor and whipped up a pillow similar to what Target had, and I did it for cheaper. The original French Braided Pillow is {HERE}, and it's still going strong 8 years later.

So I was in Target {again} and I saw the most gorgeous pillow. It was another braided number and the most gorgeous shade of magenta. It was also a velvet type of material, but it had one thing that I really disliked. You could see all of the seam allowances if you moved the sections of woven material on the front of the pillow. This is not practical for a house who has children or will use the pillow as a pillow and has children. I repeated myself, but it's doubly true.
Find this pillow at Target {HERE}
This pillow inspired me to make another, better, version of my braided pillow. One with no visible stitching lines or exposed seam allowances. Luckily, I had a trip planned to Jo-Ann's with Mom and that was a very fruitful trip. I snagged this medium-weight upholstery fabric for $7/yd! I got 2 yards just to be safe since the pillow I was going to make this time around was 16" x 24".  So let's get onto the meat of how to make the fabulous pillow!

Materials

  • 2 yds of fabric
  • 16" x 24" pillow form or stuffing
  • Cutting Mat
  • Ruler
  • Thread
  • Needle
  • Scissors
  • Writing Stick

Cut List

  • 2 - 16" x 24" rectangles
  • 2 - 16" x 7" rectangles
  • 14 - 16" x 5" rectangles
*keep a few scraps for the last little pleats at the top corners. 

Instructions

  1. Starting at one corner of one of your 16"x 24" rectangles, mark a line that is on the bias and ends about the middle of the pillow. Repeat for the adjacent corner. Measure 1.5" above those lines and make another set of lines. Continue to mark lines all the way up the pillow.

  2. Fold one 16" x 7" rectangles in half lengthwise and line up the raw edges with your first marked line. Stitch in a 1/2" seam. Repeat for opposite side, the ends should overlap in the center of the pillow.

  3. With the remaining strips, you will create the braided pattern. Starting on the first line you stitched, with right sides together, line up raw edges and stitch a 1/2" seam. The two raw edges of the rectangle should align with the first stitched line and the next line above the opposite stitched piece. Refer to the photo to see exactly what I mean. By overlapping the pieces this way there will be no exposed seam allowances.

  4. Fold the strip out with the right side showing and line up the raw edge with the next marked line above the first line you just stitched along. Stitch 1/2" seam.

  5. Repeat steps 3-4 all the way up the pillow until you come to the last two marked lines on your pillow. As you can see in the photos below, all the seams will be neatly encased under all the pleats.



  6. When you reach the very top corners of your pillow, take some of your scrap pieces to cover the seam allowances. Stitch the first line as you have previously, and then measure 1" below your stitched line and fold the scrap back over the corner. Pin and stitch within the seam allowances (5/8") of the edge.



  7. Press your pleated pillow top and then with right sides together, stitch the pillow top to the bottom. Making sure to leave an opening for your stuffing or pillow form. I used a 5/8" seam because I wanted my pillow form to be really stuffed inside. Trim seams and corners, and turn pillow right side out. Stitch the opening closed with your needle and thread. 


Doesn't that pillow look right at home with the rest of my couch? I love the pop of color! 


Thanks so much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment