Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

7/11/2018

A Week and a Day

Yesterday marked one week since my ACL/meniscus repair surgery and it has been a week.

It started off innocently enough, but then it got hard, went to ok, and finally ended on terribly wonderful. If you follow me on Instagram {HERE} then you'll have seen some of what my first week was like.

So the surgery went well, but coming out of anesthesia took ages, which seems to be the norm me, but it did prompt one of the recovery nurses to ask if I was still breathing. Yep, just want to go back to sleep, but I'm still here.

Getting home was a bit of a trial. The movement of the car plus the meds made me a bit car sick, which I don't know that I've ever suffered from. I do not like it.
Home from surgery.
Once home we settled me on the couch, and then I proceeded to flit between being awake and asleep for the next several hours. Getting up to go the bathroom was awful. The downstairs bathroom is not great for a person whose leg needs to stay fully extended. We made it through the day, and I hobbled my way upstairs at the end of the night.

The 2nd day was much the same, I was feeling quite accomplished at getting dressed and then heading downstairs. I even made it outside to watch the fireworks since it was the 4th of July. Getting upstairs was agonizing.
Watching the kids play with sparklers on the 4th. 
The 3rd day was almost identical to the 2nd day. I enjoyed the time I spent with the kids, but getting up off the couch and into the bathroom was hellish. The trek up the stairs on the 3rd day was the worse one. I was exhausted and there were so many stairs.

Day 4 dawned and I decided to stay upstairs in my bedroom. The kids brought up my computer and cross stitch. The hubs brought up a TV, and while mentally it was the toughest day because I felt like my leg had won, it was really the best decision. Our bed is quite high off the floor and it makes it so much easier for me to get in and out of it. Our bathroom also has a nice half wall next to the toilet so it made a great handrail for me. I was really grumpy about my decision to stay in the bedroom, but it really was the best decision.
Wearing cute socks while locked in my Ivory Tower was my coping mechanism. 
Days 5 - 7 were spent lounging in the bedroom. The kids played the switch, and I got an education in Splatoon 2 that I didn't know I needed. I caught up on computer stuff and made some great progress on my colorful cow cross stitch. I also ventured out to see my parents on Sunday and spent a lovely morning with them. Staying in my bedroom seemed like I was letting the injury win, but in reality, I think I allowed me to heal and rest more comfortably.
Hanging out with Momma!
Watching the men talk about building plans. 
Day 8 or Post-Op Day - I couldn't sleep. I was like a kid at Christmas. I couldn't wait to unwrap my leg and see the damage. I must've woken up 3 or 4 times, and each time it was a fight to get back to sleep. Finally, it was actually time to wake up and get ready. We still made it to my doc appointment 20 minutes before my scheduled time, and then my doc ended up running 20 minutes late. ARGH!

I'm finally called back and the nurse tells me they're gonna take x-rays, but first, we're taking off my bandages! I was still like a kid at Christmas. I was so excited that I was sweating. Seriously the sweat yesterday was bad. I mean I know I'm a sweater, but stress sweat is awful. So she opens up my brace and cuts off my bandages. It's not as bad as I would have thought. The knee is understandably tender, and there wasn't much bruising. So she helps me put my brace back on, and its time to hobble down to x-ray. Laying on the x-ray table is the best thing so far about this whole thing. Being able to lay down on my side! It's wonderful! The tech tells me that most people don't like to lay on their side after surgery. So the x-rays get taken and we're back to the room. The doc comes in and reviews how the surgery went. He goes over the pictures from the procedure and answers my questions. I had no idea that 1) it was even possible that what remained of my ACL scarred itself to my PCL or that 2) it was quite common. We also rehashed that there is some arthritis in my knee cap, but not much. The outside meniscus is quite healthy, but he had to remove a largish chunk from the other. I will say that the meniscii (meniscuses?) look like white fish flesh. There was a surprising lack of blood in the pictures. We reviewed the x-rays and I got to see all the hardware that was installed. 2 screws and a clip. One of the screws will turn to bone in about 2 years, but the doc kept calling them wood screws and now I can't get that out of my head.
What's up evil face?
The doc then examined my leg. We debated whether or not my leg was stained or bruised. We talked about my aches and pains and whether I needed more Percocet (I did not get another scrip, went a step-down because I hate taking narcotics). Also talked about my PT visit the next day, and then onto checking the ligaments. That was not fun, but he said it all felt good. He also told me that I didn't need my crutches anymore. I got very excited about that until I realized what that actually meant. He said that at my PT visit they'd unlock my brace and that until I could raise my leg more easily I would continue to have to wear the stupid thing while sleeping. Oh! Yea, so trying to lift my leg without my brace was the most difficult thing. I was more focused and determined than I have been in a long time on that single exercise and I managed 4". I was proud of myself, but at the same time disappointed that it wasn't enough. That's the next goal. The nurse came back in and put on steri-strips and told me showering was allowed, but I couldn't scrub that leg until the strips came off. So then I was done with the visit and it was time to go home. I "walked" out, using two crutches and applying as much weight as I felt comfortable with on the leg. By the time I got home, I was down to one crutch. I was done with those damn crutches. I almost forgot I am not a crier. I don't cry, but when I got into that car after the doc's visit that was the first thing I did. I burst into tears and I couldn't tell you why, but I felt better after the fact. 

I didn't realize what a toll the day would take on me, but it came down to taking a shower or taking a nap. The nap won. I don't know if it should've because when I did take a shower after my nap those clothes were rank! Ugh. I'm so sorry if I actually stank that bad while out. On my way up the stairs, the hubs says he found my bruise and why the back of my knee has ached so much. 
Yep, that would do it.
 After the gloriousness of my nap, taking a shower was a very daunting thing to do, but it got done, and unfortunately, it was not as miraculous as I wanted it to be. I mean, it felt good being clean, but I was exhausted again. Mostly emotionally exhausted, but exhausted nonetheless. Cue more tears and my Big Guy is the one who held me and calmed me down. Thankfully the rest of the day was more lowkey.

Day 9 or PT Day 1 - I slept much better last night, but I'm still awake at 5am. It is not Christmas! Luckily, my PT appointment is much earlier in the day than my doc appointment so that was good. I got myself ready and actually ate breakfast downstairs. That was a nice change, and then it was time to dash after another short cryfest. We get to the office with plenty of time to spare. The hubs tells me that while he's waiting for me, he's going to meal plan. Is there any question as to why I love him? He's been amazing this whole week. So I hobble back to the PT area of the office, where I meet my therapist. She's a nice lady who is almost as tall as me, and we're wearing the same Brooks' sneaks. I instantly like her.

The visit was difficult but rewarding. She worked my knee and we got it bent to 70* which was not painful, but it was so tight and uncomfortable. I had to close my eyes during some of the exercises, because she told me I was fighting her, which I didn't know I was doing and didn't mean to do, but I figure if I can't see what she's doing and then work solely by feel then maybe it'd go better. The trick worked and I did loosen up while she continued to flex my knee and make it work. She had me go through a series of exercises and then we finished up with ice, compression, and these little electrode things. By the end of the session, I was in a bit of pain, but not to bad. She wasn't going to unlock my brace, but in the end, decided that 10* was enough flexion. She also taught me how to correctly hobble on my one brace. She told me that I wasn't walking great and maybe I should be on both crutches. Well that wasn't going to happen so I tried to "walk" better, and apparently changed my gait and she was quite happy with it. She also adjusted my crutch so that it was better suited to me. Then it was over. I get to go through this happy hell 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Once we get back in the car, cue more tears. These might've been triggered by a little bit of pain, a little bit of emotion, and a little bit over whatever is left.  I did end up taking another half a Percocet today. The pain from the work this morning was just too much. I'm not really happy about it but I also need to be realistic.

So there's my week and a day. I go back to PT on Friday, and on my off days, I have my exercises to work on. Thanks so much for stopping by today.

No comments:

Post a Comment