Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

7/13/2018

Going Global in the Family Room

When we bought the house 9 years ago, the first thing we did after closing was to paint the family room a lovely pumpkin orange. It was my favorite room in the house for a very long time, but then I started getting more adventurous in my paint colors. Painting our master bedroom navy blue was bold and scary for us, but I love how that turned out. So then we started talking about what color to paint the family room. It needed to be refreshed, and I wanted something dramatic. I found this color scheme from Sherwin Williams called Global Spice and it has all the colors I love in it. So it has formed the basis for the new color scheme on the main level of the house.

We started thinking about the colors that we liked, and we settled on a dark purple. We had several shades, but in the end, Sweet Currant by Valspar won the color race. So the next weekend, we started cleaning and clearing out the family room.

It was probably the best cleaning the room had received in the last 5 years. Everyone chipped in. I vacuumed the walls and removed all the cobwebs. The littles scrubbed all the window sills and baseboards. The Big Guy was our gopher and ended up cleaning the trim work that the littles couldn't reach. After all of that, it was finally time to paint, and it was amazing! While the new color is dark and dramatic, it's not overpowering. Not with all of the white trim and curtains. Luckily, the new fabric I bought for the pillows has all those same colors and they really pop off the gray of the couch. The dark purple also allows our artwork to pop.
Speaking of which, we needed some new artwork. I love the lily picture above our fireplace, but it wasn't right for the family room anymore. So I moved it up to our bedroom, where it fills the space above my dresser much better than the art I had up there. Michael's then had a sale for 70% off their canvases so the hubs and I picked up a 36" square canvas for $21. Then $3 worth of paint from Walmart and we were going to have some new abstract art.
The kids and I laid the canvas on the driveway and started throwing paint on it. I tried scraping the paint in straight lines off the canvas, but it muddled the paint too much. So we squirted more paint onto the canvas and then made sweeping arcs with the squeegee and we liked that much better. We just continued to add paint and make sweeping arcs until it looked done.
The art project was so much! I love that it was a group project. I also love how the whole room came together and how well it works with the rest of the main level of the house. Even the messy kitchen table looks right at home.
 All of the new pillows look fabulous on the couch. I may or may not being a bit precious with the striped pillows, because that fabric is a really nice upholstery chenille that can't be washed, dry cleaned only. I love how the gray allows everything to pop.
I figured I'd leave the comparison to how the room used to look to what it looks like now until the very end. I really did love the orange, but the purple is just so much more dramatic and a little more grown-up.

Just one room left for the main level to be done. The dining room! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment