Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

12/24/2010

I'll Be Home For Christmas...



There's no recipe this week, as I don't tend to cook much when I'm about to leave for a week--more on that later--but I wanted to talk about some of the warm, fuzzy feelings I get during this time of year and during other family occasions.

We all know that we need food to survive. Duh. Food, to me, though, is an experience in itself. A lovely cup of tea all alone with a good book and a blanket can be an experience, as can a tub of chocolate ice cream with your best girlfriends. Of course there are those special dates when you're with the one you love more than anything else in the world and a nice meal. Lastly, though, there are those huge meals with the people who know you better than anyone else. These are my favorite, even if sometimes having those people who know you so well around is somewhat inconvenient.

See: Heather and I instantly understanding why the other is torqued off without even having to say a word.

I am very blessed in that I get along with my family very well. The intense separation between VA and TN may certainly help with that, but it also makes the times I get together with my family all the more special. I am SO excited for tomorrow (today for all of you reading now) because I am now in VA and I will be seeing both my mum's sisters, their families, my grandparents, Heather and her crowd, of course, my twin sister, Colie, my parents, and some parents-in-laws as well all at once for Christmas Eve. There will be about a zillion pounds of food too, which is always a mixture of classic, well-loved family recipes and exciting, new ones too. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely love the chaos of being gathered all together in one room with more food than Peter Pan's table. Usually we're all maintaining at least three conversations at once. It's my time to catch up with everyone and simply enjoy company and food, and it's events like this that have created some of my warmest, most favorite memories.

I hope all of you have safe, wonderful holidays and can take some time to spend them with the people closest to you. God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment