Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

3/01/2018

Pattern Review - Simplicity S0980


Have you ever had a moment where you didn't know which project to work on, so you start on something new? Yea, me too.

This is what happened last Saturday when I had a few hours to myself and didn't know what to do with them. I decided that I needed a new skirt to wear for our outing that evening, so I pulled out a pattern I'd been wanting to make and grabbed some green denim that was originally intended for jeans but would now continue their existence as a skirt.

I don't know how long I've had this 70's  inspired pattern, but it's been a while and when I was "cleaning up" my sewing room (read - moving piles around) I found it and the denim that was never going to become pants. I mean I bought the denim to become pants, but I have no idea what I was thinking.

This pattern would be the perfect beginning sewing pattern. It's straightforward and incorporates a lot of skills that a beginner should cover, but not so many as to be overwhelming. The guide sheet also does an excellent job of outlining the construction of this super simple, versatile skirt.

I decided at about 1:30 to make the skirt, and by 2ish I was sewing it up. Of course, I didn't allow myself enough time to get it finished before my deadline because I decided to jazz it up a bit by adding top-stitching details to each of the seams. I also didn't have enough buttons. So many little problems adding up. The kicker came when I ran out of bobbin thread while top-stitching the waistband. That's when I walked away for a day.

The next day is when I realized that I screwed up my buttonholes. Not terribly, but I lined them up wrong when I was marking them, so I ended up having to add an extra to my skirt, but not that you can notice.

With the skirt finally done, and me trying to think outside of my fashion box, I headed to Target to take advantage of the sales and clearance stuff. Our Target is being remodeled so there is a lot of clearance! Score!

I ended up finding this fun striped shirt, which I'm not sure if it's black stripes or very dark blue stripes, but I kind of like that I can't tell, and this lovely mustard seed yellow cardigan. Some old wedges out of my closet, and the new skirt, and VOILA! I have a fun, versatile outfit that works all year.
My purple locks even worked with my outfit. I need to touch-up my grays, but the Pravanna violet is still looking good even after a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment