Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

2/03/2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

Ok, so another song is in my head. Leaving on a jet plane.....don't know when I'll be back again....
Remember that scene in Armageddon? Love it when Michael Clark Duncan and Steve Buscemi join in. :) In fact I'm going to share it with y'all. :)
There. Wasn't that nice? Don't much care for Mr. Affleck, but I do love that his oldest is named Violet, and she's about Dev's age. :)  Ok so I have majorly strayed from my point, but you guys are used to that aren't you? Ah well, at least the song has something to do with the content of the post. I was able to go get some more Cherry Red thread and finish up those curtains of Devlin's! Yay! It only took twice as long as it should have because I ran out of thread! Whoopie!


Ok I'm done with the sarcasm....I promise. Efff. I can't even get that right. :) Alright, I promise I'm done and without further ado lets get on with this tute!

As I've said a couple of times now this curtain alteration is super duper easy and fast.

Start with some curtains. Then go find yourself some fabric that has a cool design that you can cut out and appliquĆ© to your curtain. Really that's it, but I took pictures anyways. :) So let's get this engine started.
Here is my freshly ironed fabric and as you can see its an all over print with vintage airplanes. I mentioned that Dev has a thing for them right? Well I tell you what. Wallymart was a savior because I have been looking for airplane fabric for a little while now and nothing was perfect. This is perfect. You also probably noticed that there are some squares drawn on the fabric in each of those pictures. I drew those squares. Those are my cutting lines. I wanted to do patches on Dev's curtains so squares were the easiest. I just took out my straightedge and drew away. I tried to do single airplanes in some of the boxes and multiple airplanes in others.I also varied things by not only having perfect squares in the  mix. This may be the most time consuming part. 
 After drawing all of my boxes, I cut everything out and then separated them into two piles since I have two curtains. I did not take any pictures of the next steps because its really screw-up proof. I just randomly placed each of those squares on the curtains and then zig-zag stitched around each one. I had my zig-zags about 1/4" in from the raw edge, and then I frayed the cotton a bit to make them look more authentic. So here's what I ended up with! Pay no mind to the stray threads. You know its homemade if there are threads still attached!
 Here's the finished  product up and hanging!
 Oh yea...I changed his curtains completely. You see we were having an issue where H (and probably Dev) like to pull on them so the poor curtain rod was constantly having to be bent back up into place. Not to mention that the original red curtains are probably 3 years old and are faded beyond belief. It was time for a change.
 Here's another before and after. I love the after so much better, but I'll tell you what....Dev was none to happy with me when I first suggested the new curtains. In fact, he didn't speak to me for about an hour after I bought the new curtains, but when the airplane fabric was found....boy oh boy did that guy of mine change his story. :)
 Here's a picture of them open. I love  these curtains. They are a heavyweight twill from Ikea. Love! You may be wondering why there is so much space between the airplanes when obviously I could have fit a lot more on there, and the answer is because I was certain Dev would want me to incorporate some red back into his curtains so I left space to do so. This was why he was so mad about the curtains. They weren't red. He may still ask, but I can always take them down and add red to them if he wants. :)
I just have to show you guys this picture because this was the ghetto picture I was going to go with if I couldn't get more thread. Doesn't it look spectacular? Devlin had a fit, laughing fit that is over how redonkulous this looks. Luckily after the thread was acquired, it maybe took 15 minutes for me to get the last one up. Yay!

Well next week is going to be fun, because next Friday is my 1 year blogiversary! So much fun! I hope you guys will join me because I'm hoping to have some great stuff for you guys! Have a great day and I'll see ya next week!
Heather

5 comments:

  1. Your curtains look great! Perfect and simple idea - and so effective! I added some applique fish and coral to my daughter's plain curtains when she was little - and what a difference it made!!

    I'd love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:

    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    Hope you have a lovely week!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the appliques! What a great way to jazz up store bought panels! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those curtains came out great! Thank you for sharing at Masterpiece Monday. Have a nice week! Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these curtains! Much better than if you had used the entire fabric since it would have been busy! What a terrific idea! :) Thanks so much for linking up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric. Can you please tell me Where you purchased it?

    ReplyDelete