Follow Us @SewHalfCrazy

12/27/2010

A Tribute to My Guy!

5 years ago, at 12:01 am I went into labor. On my due date. Who does that happen to? Oh well. 17.5 hours later the OB is telling me that you're a lot bigger than 8.5 lbs. Thanks Dr. OB guy. 18 hours later you joined our family with a very healthy scream. It was a blessing, because we'd been trying for a while and 2 miscarriages later we were excited and nervous when the 3rd round of pregnancy tests came back positive.

Daddy and I weren't able to hold you like other  parents. You were taken over to the NICU station because you had been in some distress, but you were big and loud. 10 lbs 5 oz, born at 6:30 pm, and completely healthy except for a small heart murmur. You would not believe how many people we had in that room. I was the only one giving birth that day, so EVERYONE was in our room to welcome you.

We later learned that there was a tissue mass in your left atrium which 6 weeks later was diagnosed as cor triatriatum. By the grace of God your heart condition has not affected you at all, aside from the occasional trip up to see your cardiologist at Children's. You have grown and developed into the most spectacular little guy, and we're so proud of you.


So in honor of your day, we had your favorite characters over for a party. The gang from Super Mario Bros. joined us to help ring in your 5th year a couple of weeks ago, and here are some of the highlights from the party and your 5 years so far. This was a hard process, because there are so many great pictures of you!
The Super Mario Bros. Birthday Bash was a terrific success and
 I'm so glad that your Dad and I could do this for you. :) 
Now today is your actual day, and we're out and about at the Museum of Natural History so that you can see the dinosaurs with your family. Just as you asked. Last year, on your birthday, you came into your brother's room where I was nursing him and told me that you did not want to open any more gifts. It was so sweet and touching. For such a little guy to be overwhelmed by gifts was sweet and heart-breaking at the same time, so when you asked that for your actual birthday you wanted to go see the dinosaurs with your family (who you then proceeded to name in case I had forgotten who they were) was so touching. I cannot even explain.

I love you, Devlin and I hope that the rest of you guys  have enjoyed this little tribute to my big guy.

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Your little boy is so cute! What a wonderful tribute!
    I wanted to let you know that I'll be bragging about you today, I'm featuring your pretty clock ornament on my Brag Monday post!

    ReplyDelete